An idiot alone

the village idiot

hi may be worth joining your local coppice group normal £10 a year get put on contractors list. do not know what your woods are but hazel the things you can use that for is endless. chestnut fencing stakes. oak shingles,beams. ash dried out makes good handles plus many other things.

i have just gone in with a old coppicer i help work the woods he helps me lay hedges. will learn how to make hurdles in spring when hedgelaying finishes. want to push faggots for river work so clear brash making spars for thatching. if i had the dosh would buy a retort to make charcoal. but then its good firewood

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi may be worth joining your local coppice group normal £10 a year get put on contractors list. do not know what your woods are but hazel the things you can use that for is endless. chestnut fencing stakes. oak shingles,beams. ash dried out makes good handles plus many other things.

i have just gone in with a old coppicer i help work the woods he helps me lay hedges. will learn how to make hurdles in spring when hedgelaying finishes. want to push faggots for river work so clear brash making spars for thatching. if i had the dosh would buy a retort to make charcoal. but then its good firewood

Hi hedgesparrow,

Thanks for the message, plenty of good ideas in there. Unfortunately it is not terribly woody around these parts so there is no coppice group as such and few people doing what I do apart from the Wildlife Trust and Woodland Trust sites which don't have to be so concerned with financial viability.

Have done a fair bit of faggotting😊 and it is a good earner, although it conflicts with my cutting time and I tend to need the brash for protecting the stools. I would like to get into other woodland products like the ones you suggest. I've just been majoring on the firewood and charcoal so far.