Phone lines through crown

Kenty

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never had to fix one yet but. Screwfix and the like do telephone line tools and fittings. Surely you can fix up if needed. May be better to take photos before you start the job to get colours worked out first. £200 is a rip off.

Jenga chimney stacks. A whole new arb game!

Its a minimum half day for at least one skilled engineer (2 if the line crosses a road) performing working at height.

Doesn't sound that expensive to me.

wire cutters at entry point to clients house before you start, one of the rare occasions i use a ladder, then waterproof bt crimps afterwards, 2 min job

bt dropwires going to the customer normally work off the first pair in the cable which is the orange/white

the new cables running to the house only have 2 wires.dropwire 11

the older cable has 2 pairs orange/white being the first pair

green /black second pair

If you come across a 4 pair cable pair 1 orange white (dropwire 15

pair 2 red/grey

pair 3 blue/brown

pair 4 green/black

4 pair used if customer has more than 1 pair

older wires are grey or black polarity does not matter 2 much these days

WARNING! BT have started running fibre dropwires same size as copper cables going to houses. Some are drop tube which they blow the fibre through.

Others have the fibres in the cables and have 4 and 12 fibres these can,t be connected or spliced without a machine.

The clamps on these have orange markings.

Another cable which has just come out is a little bit thicker than these has 36 fibres and possibly have the capacity to run a small village

These have purple markings on the clamps.

The poles these come off should have YELLOW LABELS with fibre optic on at just above head height.

If you cut one of these it could be very expensive.

So be careful out there

WARNING! BT have started running fibre dropwires same size as copper cables going to houses. Some are drop tube which they blow the fibre through.

Others have the fibres in the cables and have 4 and 12 fibres these can,t be connected or spliced without a machine.

The clamps on these have orange markings.

Another cable which has just come out is a little bit thicker than these has 36 fibres and possibly have the capacity to run a small village

These have purple markings on the clamps.

The poles these come off should have YELLOW LABELS with fibre optic on at just above head height.

If you cut one of these it could be very expensive.

So be careful out there

Handy info, thanks.

Few years back I got openreach to drop a line. I'm sure that cost over £200 for 10 minutes work and an hours break in between.

Shortly after that i did a tree for an ex BT engineer.

Since then I have NOT dropped several lines myself that were in the way. I have NOT fixed a cut wire that was unnoticeable within Wisteria and that was NOT with connectors and wall boxes that the guy DID NOT give to me.