Speed awareness course

kris turner

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wondered that too. Does it have van limits as a van derived car or car limits? If it's van limits there are going to be loads of people coming unstuck with several similar models being sold as cars by several manufacturers.

also any difference between having solid or glass rear door?

I've been corrected I'll post you a medal if you want :laugh1: that's what this forums about providing correct information. I'm not standing I'm sitting down with a beer :001_tongue:

May be a medal for collecting the most amount of correct info and still not believing it :biggrin:

I had a disco 4 van recently and cant remember what I concluded but I think it was light goods on the tax disc so should be 50 on a dual but then again it is multi purpose and car derived. It did not really matter as it spent 99% of the time on a ramp with me driving their 306 which can do 60 mph on a dual.

Anyone else bought an expensive Landrover and ended up driving round in French crap

May be a medal for collecting the most amount of correct info and still not believing it :biggrin:

I had a disco 4 van recently and cant remember what I concluded but I think it was light goods on the tax disc so should be 50 on a dual but then again it is multi purpose and car derived. It did not really matter as it spent 99% of the time on a ramp with me driving their 306 which can do 60 mph on a dual.

Anyone else bought an expensive Landrover and ended up driving round in French crap

Discovery 4 would be classified as a dual purpose vehicle.

Purpose 1: to be driven back from the repair shop.

Purpose 2: ornament.

:001_smile:

A disco commercial van is a 'car derived van' and you van happily do 70 on a dual carriageway A road. The legislation doesn't mention tax or use, it just says cars, motorcycles and car derived vans. I think the grey area comes with something like a Merc Vito where the floor pan is c class car. I use one at work so always consider it 'car derived'😀

A disco commercial van is a 'car derived van' and you van happily do 70 on a dual carriageway A road. ...

Except it also as to comply with

‘Car-derived’ vans weigh no more than 2 tonnes when loaded and are goods vehicles based on car designs, such as a Ford Fiesta van or Vauxhall Astra van.

The stinger is if a car is later brought out based on the van, then the van is still treated as a van and the car as a car.

The stinger is if a car is later brought out based on the van, then the van is still treated as a van and the car as a car.

Yes I agree, once over 2 tonne and commercial the lower limits apply, also when pulling a trailer.

If it's a car and over 2 tonne it's still the higher limits.

Also a dual purpose vehicle must be less than 2 ton unladen and I doubt diesel Land Rover products can get under that so when used commercially the lower limits should apply but I haven't seen a definitive cite for this.

just to add a bit of confusion (and I dont know the answer) I drive a van derived car -a transit connect with side windows and rear seats and solid back doors although the newer company ones have windows in the back door, where does this fit in ??

We have the same with our Mk2 Berlingo as it is a van derived car not the other way round same as the Tourneo. My wife drives a Peugeot van same as our car and that is subject to limits.