Bottled it!

pault

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its funny, I've never come across a tree I would not climb, "if it stood up in the last gail, it'll be fine!!"

But now my eldest son it joining me in the Co, he's doing his climbing tickets, do I want him to climb "any tree"?????????????? makes me think??????

I do agree with what you are saying and 99 times out of 100 i would have gone up it no questions asked. As i would with pretty much every tree that needs climbed. But having seen how easily the others in this woodland came over and the fact that the root plate was moving with every gust, something just made me think "not this time". Im sure it would have been fine and gone without incident but i made a call there and then and personally if im not comfortable doing something for whatever reason then ill be the first one to hold my hands up. After all, i was always told climbing should be used as a last resort when removing a tree. There was space to winch it over but they dont own one.

Im not sorry that i made the call not to climb it. I am however sorry that the boss got so pissed off, and if it costs me work then you know ill be kicking myself:sneaky2:

Mate when I was subbing I went out to a job, big multi stem sycamore to reduce, the tree it self was a pain as it had no centre so would of ment re anchoring a few times, big leggy thing with nothing to climb on, the tree it's self wasn't the issue, I didn't do the work because on the day, it was heavy rain, there was no first aid kit in the truck and the groundsman said to me that he's not climbed for 5 years and "didn't think he could rescue me"

I walked away from that job because all I could think was if its going to go wrong it's going to be on a day like today...

All that said they boss was very understanding and we did it a few days later in the sun with him climbing and me being his rescuer, some bosses will listen to you, others just want the work done

Here is my take on this, you called the thread "bottled it".

Now I don't know what your interpretation of that phrase is but I understand it to mean failing to do something you ought to have managed, associations of cowardice and failure

There is a difference between bottling something and finding your limits.

Its history now so kick it to the curb and move on.

If you didn't want to do it fair enough.

Thing is every day we do do things that give us the heebies or go against our instincts.

Even hanging off a rope into space at height still clenches my guts after 25 years.

You'll get plenty of support on here, but none of them pay your wages.

Agree on all points. It's knowing when you're not just a wee bit nervous and when it's a legitimate concern though I suppose.

I remember subbing for a guy, being sent to a big oak. Half the crown had broken out at the first fork and there was a big split right down to the ground. The wind was howling and I was quite happy to walk away from that till a calmer day. Two days before I finished a contract for him while getting pulled off branches and thrown about by the wind, so I think it was fairly clear that my internal danger barometer wasn't set to 'pansy'.

Moving root plate, water logged soil & wind seems a legitimate reason to walk, but principals won't pay the bills sadly...