Stihl triggers

Cloud9climber

But should it really be that short lived, since it's around twice the price of a budget branded saw?

No offence but budget brand is anything froms Ms 250 downwards apart from the old 024 good pro saw and any husky that isn't a 5 or 3 model number some 2 series are good but they're getting on a bit now

No offence but budget brand is anything froms Ms 250 downwards apart from the old 024 good pro saw and any husky that isn't a 5 or 3 model number some 2 series are good but they're getting on a bit now

None taken. My question is really about where the line is drawn, if any failing of these entry level Stihls is dismissed as they're "only a home owner saw", then are they really worth twice the price of say Sanli or Mitox?

None taken. My question is really about where the line is drawn, if any failing of these entry level Stihls is dismissed as they're "only a home owner saw", then are they really worth twice the price of say Sanli or Mitox?

For me, yes. As outlined in my first pot in this thread, they hold their value exceedingly well. Buy for £220, sell for £150, possibly with a half worn chain but in definite need of a new bar and sprocket (£30 cost). Total cost for a years warrantied ownership of a great little saw- £40. If that's not your style, keep it for five years and sell it for £100. £24 a year.

Hell, I sold a clients wanked 017 for £95 the other day. Ran fine but tatty and cutting gear shot. Typical domestic firewood cutter condition, probably never seen a file. Ten years old if it was a day, £170 new. £7.50 a year.

Let this be a lesson to anyone considering a budget saw 'just for firewood, half a dozen times a year. Your Chinese saw won't be running after then years, much less worth more than half of what you paid for it and still starting second pull.

The MS181 is a great little saw that you wouldn't cry over for too long if it was nicked from the chipper or fell into a pond (it was half an hour before we realised. You know that feeling you get when everyone realises that the worst has happened at the same time and your eyes all meet? :lol: it did survive, so we just laughed).

It may be twice the price and I hear you re the trigger, but it's still twice as ergonomic as a Mitox and the cutting gear is decent from the get go. This is something that you hear a lot- "I've got a Chinlongshi, I stuck a Stihl bar and chain on it and now it's a good little saw". Might as well upgrade the rest of the saw too, ay? :lol:

I love "pro users" (who simply wouldn't be seen dead with a homeowner saw darling) using 60cc saws to sned 1" leylandii branches for the same reason I love people driving Land Rovers. I am an all round fan of my competitors burning excess fuel and getting back backs.:biggrin:

I love "pro users" (who simply wouldn't be seen dead with a homeowner saw darling) using 60cc saws to sned 1" leylandii branches for the same reason I love people driving Land Rovers. I am an all round fan of my competitors burning excess fuel and getting back backs.:biggrin:

This made me chuckle. I'm a pro user & the first saw I go to to sned is my little MS170, I've had it since 2007 new, never needed a part except service parts & it gets used everyday.

Sorry if its a bit off topic.

For me, yes. As outlined in my first pot in this thread, they hold their value exceedingly well. Buy for £220, sell for £150, possibly with a half worn chain but in definite need of a new bar and sprocket (£30 cost). Total cost for a years warrantied ownership of a great little saw- £40. If that's not your style, keep it for five years and sell it for £100. £24 a year.

Hell, I sold a clients wanked 017 for £95 the other day. Ran fine but tatty and cutting gear shot. Typical domestic firewood cutter condition, probably never seen a file. Ten years old if it was a day, £170 new. £7.50 a year.

Let this be a lesson to anyone considering a budget saw 'just for firewood, half a dozen times a year. Your Chinese saw won't be running after then years, much less worth more than half of what you paid for it and still starting second pull.

The MS181 is a great little saw that you wouldn't cry over for too long if it was nicked from the chipper or fell into a pond (it was half an hour before we realised. You know that feeling you get when everyone realises that the worst has happened at the same time and your eyes all meet? :lol: it did survive, so we just laughed).

It may be twice the price and I hear you re the trigger, but it's still twice as ergonomic as a Mitox and the cutting gear is decent from the get go. This is something that you hear a lot- "I've got a Chinlongshi, I stuck a Stihl bar and chain on it and now it's a good little saw". Might as well upgrade the rest of the saw too, ay? :lol:

I sort of agree with you, so not looking to argue.

But most domestic users that i have sold MS180/1 saws to hate them, simply because they never start "2nd pull". You can pretty well guarantee that 6 snappy pulls are needed just to prime the saw before the "cough". The trouble is that they dont stop at the cough and flood them.

These folk are best suited to a Mitox CS38 simply because it has a primer and " S Start" and will start 2nd (easy) pull.

And, the Mitox does in fact have genuine Oregon cutting gear.

This made me chuckle. I'm a pro user & the first saw I go to to sned is my little MS170, I've had it since 2007 new, never needed a part except service parts & it gets used everyday.

Sorry if its a bit off topic.

I think I genuinely am going to stop telling people this and just say that my mum won't let me use anything bigger. My osteopath friends will be thrilled.

To the op, take the handle assembly apart, the throttle trigger is one moulded piece with two circular bits that fit into the handle housing, for some reason they become stiff, lightly sand the circular bits & put a little grease on them & then refit, that should sort it.

To the op, take the handle assembly apart, the throttle trigger is one moulded piece with two circular bits that fit into the handle housing, for some reason they become stiff, lightly sand the circular bits & put a little grease on them & then refit, that should sort it.

Thanks mate I will give that a go! I would be well happy if in could sort this out, goes well for a little saw