red diesel ' Cherry'

Yorkshireman

Vosa are only doing there job am told, people say what would it be like if they where no Vosa, we will never know,

A scan of the prosecutions in the trade press will tell you exactly how it would be.

Every “dodgy” in creation would see it as open season, a driver pulling a double with many tons of truck in piss poor order on the roll down the streets your loved ones use.

If VOSA is the price we pay for preventing that I am all for it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A scan of the prosecutions in the trade press will tell you exactly how it would be.

Every “dodgy” in creation would see it as open season, a driver pulling a double with many tons of truck in piss poor order on the roll down the streets your loved ones use.

Fair point and if they just targeted real threats like that it would be great, but the majority of their time is takne up harassing people with generally pretty safe vehicles breaking stupid rules i.e eveyrone's 3.5t tippers that are overloaded, they take 4t+ perfectly safely it really doesn't matter...but the unlucky ones still cop fines for it. They can;t even touch anyone pulling a double or speeding excessivley uina big truck as its all too easy to cover up... So, as ever the authorites just pick on the decent members of sociaety slightly beidng the rules rather than the scum completely disregarding them!:thumbdown:

Virtually everyone is potentially in the wrong, new vehicles come from factory faulty. One way or another they can get you if they are inclined that way. I can relate other tales were even their operatives don't understand or know how, or what way to interpret the regulations. Rebated or reduced tax fuel at the end of the day would be easier if it didn't exist anymore, that is a price many would be unhappy to pay. Farming/food production would cost more. But there would be less "lawbreakers."

Fair point and if they just targeted real threats like that it would be great, but the majority of their time is takne up harassing people with generally pretty safe vehicles breaking stupid rules i.e eveyrone's 3.5t tippers that are overloaded, they take 4t+ perfectly safely it really doesn't matter...but the unlucky ones still cop fines for it. They can;t even touch anyone pulling a double or speeding excessivley uina big truck as its all too easy to cover up... So, as ever the authorites just pick on the decent members of sociaety slightly beidng the rules rather than the scum completely disregarding them!:thumbdown:

I think you are speaking from a 3.5 ton perspective, if you had driven larger trucks you wouldn’t say that.

You can’t cover up speeding or excessive hours without committing a tachograph offence.

The difference is, people engaged in tree work see the vehicle as subsidiary to the main activity whereas (most) LGV drivers accept the situation for what it is, part and parcel of running a truck.

Your argument about a 3.5 tonner taking 4+ is a bit off, if it will take 4+ on Monday surely you can go a bit further and take it to 5 on Tuesday and if a transit can go over by 30 or 40% surely the bigger ones can do it as well, that artic will be weighing off at 50+ tons.

The reason they can’t and shouldn’t do it is simple, if you habitually run something at its maximum capacity it will fail a lot sooner.

I think you are speaking from a 3.5 ton perspective, if you had driven larger trucks you wouldnt say that.

You cant cover up speeding or excessive hours without committing a tachograph offence.

The difference is, people engaged in tree work see the vehicle as subsidiary to the main activity whereas (most) LGV drivers accept the situation for what it is, part and parcel of running a truck.

Your argument about a 3.5 tonner taking 4+ is a bit off, if it will take 4+ on Monday surely you can go a bit further and take it to 5 on Tuesday and if a transit can go over by 30 or 40% surely the bigger ones can do it as well, that artic will be weighing off at 50+ tons.

The reason they cant and shouldnt do it is simple, if you habitually run something at its maximum capacity it will fail a lot sooner.

I know several hgv drivers and mechanics and it goes on a lot there are ways to stop these things. And a 50t artic is nothing to worry about, some of those units are built to haul twice that and do elsewhere. But that's all irrelevant the real point is they hardly ever stop 'accidents waiting to happen' just give people Grief over minor problems....or not, I got checked in a Vito a while back which had the brakes hanging out of it, no pads left and seriously scored discs to match, bug all 4 of them noticed was a cracked indicator lense!