red diesel ' Cherry'

Yorkshireman

Fines are penalties for wrong doers, taxes are what we all have to pay, and there is a world of difference. VOSA don’t issue fines, tariffs are set by statute law and the courts enforce it.

A vehicle operator should keep abreast of changes in law. The fuels issue was done to death in the trade press of both the haulage and our industry.

VOSA don’t have to check everything do they? I think you are over egging the pudding a bit there. I don’t mind them checking a point of law, there are plenty of people engaged in commercial tree work winging it on a forestry exemption that they aren’t entitled to so I am not surprised VOSA may need to check a point of law here and there. I would call that due diligence.

The lost revenue was enough to prompt a review of schedule 1 of the hydrocarbon oils duty act, that’s a review of statutory legislation, which is in itself no small beer. I can’t remember the exact figure but it was in the many millions and getting worse. I think for the more significant point is that those illegally using red are gaining a pecuniary advantage over those that are running legal.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fines are penalties for wrong doers, taxes are what we all have to pay, and there is a world of difference. VOSA don’t issue fines, tariffs are set by statute law and the courts enforce it.

A vehicle operator should keep abreast of changes in law. The fuels issue was done to death in the trade press of both the haulage and our industry.

VOSA don’t have to check everything do they? I think you are over egging the pudding a bit there. I don’t mind them checking a point of law, there are plenty of people engaged in commercial tree work winging it on a forestry exemption that they aren’t entitled to so I am not surprised VOSA may need to check a point of law here and there. I would call that due diligence.

The lost revenue was enough to prompt a review of schedule 1 of the hydrocarbon oils duty act, that’s a review of statutory legislation, which is in itself no small beer. I can’t remember the exact figure but it was in the many millions and getting worse. I think for the more significant point is that those illegally using red are gaining a pecuniary advantage over those that are running legal.

Point taken, but when it come to losing fuel revenue how can it be so when the tax on fuel is so high.

Many millions being lost what about the many billions being gained for what? What does the operator get in return,"more taxes more legislation" nothing goes down cost only ever go up. So you will find people will be forced into corner it is only going to get worse.

Point taken, but when it come to losing fuel revenue how can it be so when the tax on fuel is so high.

Many millions being lost what about the many billions being gained for what? What does the operator get in return,"more taxes more legislation" nothing goes down cost only ever go up. So you will find people will be forced into corner it is only going to get worse.

True the tax is high but it is significantly higher for DERV so the loss is the difference between the rebated fuel and DERV.

Costs only ever seem to ratchet up but that’s true of almost everything.

Tax and death, simple inevitability

so what would heating oil do to your engine?

for the purposes of this post Heating oil is Kerosene not gas oil

Other than being illegal to use its a 28 second oil where as diesel is 35 second oil there for the diesel has a higher viscosity and therfore the lighter heating oil burns at a higher temperature it also lacks the lubricity of diesel so ( and i know many people will say they do it and its fine) the higher temperature may cause premature head gasket failure or cylinder wall failure i e porous blocks ! also higher temps are not good for the engine generaly ! the lack of lubricity will cause premature wear of the fuel systems mainly the injection pump and the injectors. i know of people who have over come these issues by puting a pint of two stroke to the tank full of kero to reduce the burn temp and to get the lubricity back into the fuel !

i know i wouldnt do it i have seen the effects ! but horses for courses etc the Vosa men and the old bill are pretty good at fuel recognition nowadays gone are the days it would have been put dip pot in oh ok its not red on you go ! lol !

That's the impression I got as well, but..I wonder how that equates to RRV equipment.. as in mogs on the railway. They go on the road and on the rail, all on red..

As I understand it any RRV must now run on white unless it is a vehicle which falls into a catgory allowed to use rebated fuel (mobile crane, engineering plant etc). Doesn't mean that they do - yet, of course.

• 1 month later...
It's not a case of promoting anything but because they change the laws to suit themselves we all just go along with it. Wither it is right or not that's why we are in the state we are in VOSA self funded tax collectors who don't know the law unless they have a laptop that tells what's right and what's wrong.

We are made to feel scared of theses people when going about our daily duties, nobody wants to admit to using red to save a few pound and that's the reality of it. So all you do gooders fill your tractor's up with premium priced white because the law says you have to, we all talk about crime but who is the victim here the straight laced government we voted for, do you think the country will suffer for the use of red diesel.

Don't make me laugh, just keep your heads in the sand, and keep moving like sheep, because if the government says that it wrong then it must be they would now best there track records proved that.:sneaky2:

Self funding equals nit picking with a comb. I did a LGV cpc day course, and the instructor told us a couple of watch your back stories. One was an artic driver collected a trailer from the docks, never put his reg plate on trailer. VOSA stopped him. Enquired about the missing plate, he said he had put one on. They did him£200 for shedding his load. That is how it is. Apparently you can download the VOSA guidebook, but how long would it remain current and a risk of inducing high blood pressure with anger or coma with bordom. The fuel issue along with weights and trailers tachographs etc etc equals impossible to run a legal service at a reasonable cost to the customer.

Self funding equals nit picking with a comb. I did a LGV cpc day course, and the instructor told us a couple of watch your back stories. One was an artic driver collected a trailer from the docks, never put his reg plate on trailer. VOSA stopped him. Enquired about the missing plate, he said he had put one on. They did him£200 for shedding his load. That is how it is. Apparently you can download the VOSA guidebook, but how long would it remain current and a risk of inducing high blood pressure with anger or coma with bordom. The fuel issue along with weights and trailers tachographs etc etc equals impossible to run a legal service at a reasonable cost to the customer.

Finally a man a man of my own heart, your rite in what you say. It's funny how there seems to be so much love for the government when it comes to shafting us.

Other country's ie France, drivers stick together to fight for what they believe to rite. On the other hand in the UK we argue with each other about how rite the government is and that if you don't break the law you will nothing to worry about. Vosa are only doing there job am told, people say what would it be like if they where no Vosa, we will never know, Vostapo has a nice ring to it doesn't it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One was an artic driver collected a trailer from the docks, never put his reg plate on trailer. VOSA stopped him. Enquired about the missing plate, he said he had put one on. They did him£200 for shedding his load.

Perhaps if he had admitted a simple mistake they would have been a little more understanding.

I wonder how many times they have heard the “it fell off” line.