red diesel ' Cherry'

Yorkshireman

I was told directly by HMRC that mogs, tractors etc must run on white, regardless of spec, load carrying capacity if they are being used for tree work.

You can have it on red but it must be sorned and transported to and from site i.e low loader, same as a harvester or forwarder would be.

One of our clients a local authoruty was investigated last year, as were we for the second time, and they had to put all of their tractors on white, even the ones that had gang mowers on, this is because its a duel purpose machine, it may be mowing one day but he next it may have a trailer on carrying mulch or soil and that is classed as transport and therefore white must be used.

Dedicated single use machines can sometimes run on red, eg triple mowers as they can't really do anything else, but tractors, mogs etc are a definate white only machine.

I'd researched everything I could on the subject and thought I was within the law, but still got caught out, twice and paid for it with fines and back duty.

If in doubt call your local HMRC office, they are not very friendly but will give out advice and tell what can and can't be done and confirm on letterhead if you want.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope not. The more we all give oin to the ever developing police state, the more people like whatever her name is will bring out draconian laws.

They have to catch you too. Sorry if this seems inflamatory, it is not meant to, but why are our tax pounbds going on wages for people to hammer the working man more than he/she already is. :mad1::mad1:

Can't fault the sentiment there. Just to play Devil's advocate for a mo does anyone know what would be the legal position on running a diesel-engined machine on domestic heating oil? (I know the manufacturers' advice on the matter but know of two small Kubotas that have been running on it for 10 years).

looks like every tractor/mog in the country should be running on white. i can see that happening:001_tt1:

That is basically the long and short of it mate.

They have got to pay for iraq/ bankers bonuses/ mp's rent boys somehow......:scared1:

IOne of our clients a local authoruty was investigated last year, as were we for the second time,

, but still got caught out, twice.

This is not the first time you have mentioned that you got investigated twice :confused1:

If you were told after the first investigation not to use red, WHY did you continue to use red??:confused1:

I'm not having ago, just interested :001_smile:

Can't fault the sentiment there. Just to play Devil's advocate for a mo does anyone know what would be the legal position on running a diesel-engined machine on domestic heating oil? (I know the manufacturers' advice on the matter but know of two small Kubotas that have been running on it for 10 years).

Heating oil can be run in diesel engines and lube oil added for those needing pump lubrication, but it is tax evasion so therefore illegal to run on the highway.

And Vosa can tell the difference between heating oil and derv!:sneaky2:

This is not the first time you have mentioned that you got investigated twice :confused1:

If you were told after the first investigation not to use red, WHY did you continue to use red??:confused1:

I'm not having ago, just interested :001_smile:

After the 1st investigation we were told that the U1200 with chipper and chip box could run on red so long as it wasn't carrying a load on the road.

The U1500 couldn't run on white at any time.

In the meantime the regs changed again so that regardless of carrying a load or not the U1200 could not lawfully run on red same as the U1500 and the valmet tractor we had at the time.

We had the same investigating officer the second time and he went through everything again, fuel receipts, milages etc.

I'm only passing on my experience for the benifit of others, as I've said I did a lot of research and got caught out, twice.

My advice if your not sure is to call HMRC, if anyone wants the number of the officer who dealt with us, (so to speak), send me a PM and I'll happily pass it on.