Which wood burning stove?

amd7000

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We fitted an 8kw Burley just over a year ago based on excellent reviews both here and elsewhere and far from just living up to expectations it has dramatically exceeded them.

The design is very different from most other stoves but when I read up on it I liked the theory, thought it made sense, and plainly it does. Don't be put off by their advertising based on efficiency ratings and figures, I don't generally be impressed by that sort of thing as it's usually bollocks but in this case it isn't, they really do deliver ridiculous amounts of heat from a relatively small amount of wood. Operation couldn't be simpler either but again that's all part of the clever design.

Only thing is the look, I like it but would fully understand if it wasn't to some peoples taste but that's something that's easy to judge before you buy anyway.

We fitted an 8kw Burley just over a year ago based on excellent reviews both here and elsewhere and far from just living up to expectations it has dramatically exceeded them.

The design is very different from most other stoves but when I read up on it I liked the theory, thought it made sense, and plainly it does. Don't be put off by their advertising based on efficiency ratings and figures, I don't generally be impressed by that sort of thing as it's usually bollocks but in this case it isn't, they really do deliver ridiculous amounts of heat from a relatively small amount of wood. Operation couldn't be simpler either but again that's all part of the clever design.

Only thing is the look, I like it but would fully understand if it wasn't to some peoples taste but that's something that's easy to judge before you buy anyway.

Agreed . Only 2 controls . The door and the air slide . Glass is double glazed . My nominally 5kw one punts out more I am sure .

Hi. We currently have a Stovax insert riva burner with fan which is nice but only outputs around 8kw. We are trying to heat the house solely with this and it manages O.K. when the temperature outside is above 5/6 degrees but any colder and it takes a couple of hours of full capacity burning to get the house bearable. The draw from the flue is excellent and can suck the flame straight up the chimney easily, so I'd assume it would handle a larger burner?

We would like a modern style burner with a big viewing door that doesn't look too modern, if you know what I mean :-/

Are there any woodburners out there that are around 20kw+ without heat exchangers as I would like to keep it simple and only rely on the heat outputted from the burner directly to the open plan house?

We would only want to spend 1500 max really. Thanks

HI MATE how large is the room then if you need 20kw thanks jon :thumbup:

My nominally 5kw one punts out more I am sure .

Same with the 8kw, but we need a decent bit of proper cold weather to get the taps opened to see what it can really do. A few degrees below freezing hasn't been enough to test it properly yet even after a year, and that's with the heat going through the whole house. Which is actually a bungalow so no benefit from heat rising either.

Are there any woodburners out there that are around 20kw+ without heat exchangers as I would like to keep it simple and only rely on the heat outputted from the burner directly to the open plan house?

We would only want to spend 1500 max really. Thanks

They had a 12kw sitting at the place where I bought mine and I reckon you could easily burn double the amount of wood in it again compared to the 8kw, so although rated at 12kw I doubt you'd find it lacking in the slightest. The Burley also has built in "convection tubes" which essentially increase the surface area and maximise heat output. The wee diagram on their web site details the theory very well, but most importantly, it all works extremely well in practice.

HI MATE how large is the room then if you need 20kw thanks jon :thumbup:

Hi Jon. The lounge is around 5 x 10m. But the minimum area we would want heating with the burner is probably 4x that size.

Cheers BigJ, will check it out.

Wrsni, definitely liking the idea of 12kw burley, but not sure if it will be a massive improvement on the riva 66 A. Will do some more research. Cheers

Edited by amd7000

If you live in an old house with solid walls, the heat just gets sucked straight out of them in a big way. Ive dry-lined most of my outside facing walls with celotex backed plasterboard and the cheaper thermaline stuff you can get from wickes. The difference isnt just huge...its MASSIVE.

So if you want your burners to heat your whole house and the heat to remain I can recommend it. :thumbup1:

Hi Jon. The lounge is around 5 x 10m. But the minimum area we would want heating with the burner is probably 4x that size.

Cheers BigJ, will check it out.

Wrsni, definitely liking the idea of 12kw burley, but not sure if it will be a massive improvement on the riva 66 A. Will do some more research. Cheers

HI MATE as tree said is it a old house then mate thanks and how high are the room thanks jon :thumbup: