best wood for overnight shutdown

billy_wizz

Really struggle to get our stove to go out. Stuck with rather more hardwood than I'd like (usual ash, sycamore, cherry, hawthorne etc) which leaves more ash than softwoods or lighter hardwoods like poplar. Consequently, you have to leave the fire at least 24hrs before the embers burn off. 24hrs on hardwoods, about 10-12 on softwoods, but more heat.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really struggle to get our stove to go out. Stuck with rather more hardwood than I'd like (usual ash, sycamore, cherry, hawthorne etc) which leaves more ash than softwoods or lighter hardwoods like poplar. Consequently, you have to leave the fire at least 24hrs before the embers burn off. 24hrs on hardwoods, about 10-12 on softwoods, but more heat.

Big J How you dooin bud ? In mine you can shovel out all the ash and leave the embers to get it going again . I like that coz no need to split any kindling :001_smile:

Big J How you dooin bud ? In mine you can shovel out all the ash and leave the embers to get it going again . I like that coz no need to split any kindling :001_smile:

Good mate! Enjoying a day off (first in nearly three weeks).

It's just a bloody thick bed of embers. It needs a minimum of 24hrs to go out, and I really think that this stove is better suited to a more softwood biased mix. Perhaps hardwoods are better suited to grated stoves?

Good mate! Enjoying a day off (first in nearly three weeks).

It's just a bloody thick bed of embers. It needs a minimum of 24hrs to go out, and I really think that this stove is better suited to a more softwood biased mix. Perhaps hardwoods are better suited to grated stoves?

Mine is a wood burner only . Has no grate . Vermiculite boards back and sides and base and one above the stainless top baffle plate . Door is double glazed .

Iv got 2 cheapo chinese inset multi-fuel stoves... im well aware of the ' youl only get as good as you pay' comments and yeah they arnt as good as the one my bro-in-law has, but i got 2 for the price of his one - i now use less wood in the 2 stoves as i used to use on one 1 open fire, and my houses damp issues are alot better.

Shut them down with a wee bit coal and some lumps of hardwood (oak at moment) they will burn for 12 - 15 hours. Wood alone theyl do 8 - 9 hours.