Most polite and efficient way to chase late payment.

mowandgo

There are customers and customers. Some give you cash at the end of the instant payment easy everybody happy could not ask for better business. At the over end of the scale there is the ones that you send invoices and invoices until eventually they pay this is awkward time consuming and hurts cash flow. At times you wonder where all the money is and you sit and do the maths to find out you have done well however the late payers is where its at. The good regular paying customers compensate for the late ones. I send invoicing out once a month and try to be as organised and regular as I can. One of my weaknesses calling the customer and asking for money I feel awkward doing it and not really sure on a good firm polite approach. From the reading I have done on the net Its a problem many small businesses have up and down the country I am sure you guys have had many experience in this and you always have some great answers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T&Cs again. Standard clause in your quote (not invoice) that payment is due within (x) days of completion or the price is increased by (y)%. Invoice on the day. Reminder letter a couple of days before in case there is a genuine reason, new invoice with increased price a few days after the due by date has passed, giving a time the bill has to be paid by to avoid Court action. Small claims is cheap enough and you add your costs to the bill. To be honest, unless it's a regular I would want paying when the job was done anyway. :001_smile:

I do. If I don't get it after 28 days I pay them regular visit in my smart work clothes covered in sawdust, mud all over my boots. Its best when it's in someone's office. They soon pay up. Or send them a invoice with unpaid in big red letters across it

I send a unpayed invoice reminder letter as soon as it's gone past my payment terms, and address it to the accounts department as that normally gets there attention.

I can email you a copy of my reminder letter if you want? My accountant gave it to me originally, and most of the time I get payed within 1 week of sending it!

My payment terms are 7 days, after 14 I send an email or text stating that in 7 days in invoice of +25% will be sent unless cleared funds are received. It's always the commercials that have an issue, I am waiting for a letting agent who called me in to do work on behalf of a client, they are now saying they want to pay when they have drawn enough rent from the property to cover the work (2 months). I have told them it's not good enough and I have contacted their client to say the late payment charge is the responsibility of the letting agent and they should not accept it passed on.

Commercial pays better but takes longer and it is generally cash flow that kills small businesses

I do not have a payment by time on my invoice. I Also do a months system so I will type and send last months invoices at begining of next. I do not often do quotes as I mainly do hedge cutting and contract mowing alot of the time same jobs every year or week with mowing. I need to be hotter. The more time late you allow the hardder it becomes. When I ask for an explanation I get allsorts of answers. The accountants very behind, The Wife/Husband having trouble finding cheque book. I have not been to the bank. They froze my account, Cant find your invoice did you send it? Just paid the builders. Washing machines gone bang this week. They have stopped my bonus. it never ends. Lol