They Cancelled on me at 3.15pm

GTS

With the age of internet and super fast 4G mobile you can get the local planning applications e-mailed to your Mobile soon has they are available and this is how SOME scrupulous outfits swoop in on jobs that other firms have spent hours doing the DONKEY WORK then told someone else has got job ......

Ste

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A tree surgeon who I like and get on with will not even quote if he sees some one else giving a quote as he arrives . The potential customer had arranged to get 3 quotes and we were there as this other chap turned up . The customer said please can you wait and give me a quote the tree surgeon said " No , I can see you are being taken care off " turned round and went . I do like the guy and he gets plenty of work .

It's always a bit disheartening when you loose work in such a way, especially if you have put in the leg work for TPO or CA permission. I, like others have said just charge for the TPO/CA application and move on. One that really winds me up and it's happened a couple of times recently is giving a professional and informed and detailed quote, spending an hour discussing what they want and then getting the email, thanks for your detailed and professional quote, we enjoyed talking to you blahs, Blahh, but we have gone for another company based purely upon cost!!! What's the point of trying to do a good job and be professional if that's what happens!!

I had is recently with a big walnut some people wanted reduced, lots of talk of doing a proper job and the constraints of this etc, they tell me about how concerned they are about having a good job, but then they nearly fell over when I gave them the price....drive past a few weeks later someone's cut a line straight across about a 3rd down from the top it is brutal, not even touched the sides. What annoys me is if they were straight about what they wanted I could have done exactly that and the price would have reflected how easy it would have been!

Also back on topic we turned up at an elderly clients house this morning she opened the door said " he trees have been done" then slammed the door and refused to answer it or the phone again and the largest tree we had quoted to work on was still untouched as we could see it from the front, very strange!

I had similar with a company that used to use the tpo app method of gaining work. On several occasions, with me clearly written as the acting agent on the app, the company; based further away than the normal competition, so maybe trying to expand into the area, sent out business marketing material. I got wise to it and say to customers that they may get hassled by other firms trying to poach the work.

On three occasions I had the same company name mentioned to me by customers as having contacted them, I rang them up and kindly informed them that I did not pay for advertising to get clients for them to then take from under my nose.

It hasn't happened again but I guarantee it will now I said it.

I pay for my advertising, and market my business for my benefit, if someone felt that it was fair game to exploit the system in this way and I was on the receiving end of what I deem to be immoral business, and they profited from my marketing and advertising then I'd send them a beautifully written Xmas card

Edited by jaime bray

Obviously add the TPO app cost onto the quote before you knock it off though.

We're not charities.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Speak for yourself mark. We are :)

But we don't work for free either!

Some people think that because we are a charity that we will come and do cheap jobs...... We don't. Often people will need to be reminded that WE are the charity... Not them.