Wally Smith

Andy Gentle

It is with great sadness that I write this post.

Some of the older members and those who have been involved longer will instantly recognise the name.

Wally has been involved in Forestry and then Arboriculture all of his life. He was for many years the regional verifier and chief assessor for the NPTC and what was then FASTCO in East Anglia.

He has been and is a fountain of knowledge and inspiration to this industry and has been influential in shaping the industry and the people who work in it.

I have known him for close to 30 years and he has been an inspiration to me and has become one of my greatest friends.

Sadly two years ago he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and he has been fighting it ever since.

Recently he has deteriorated and with his blessing I am posting this to inform all those who have known him. He has been out of touch with the training and the many people who will have known him, for some years, and It would be nice for him to maybe hear from some of you.

He is very ill and is unable to take visitors so please post any messages here

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First met wally about 25 yrs ago and a very inspirational chap that did not preach but steered me in the right direction.

I feel honoured and privileged to have kept in regular ish contact ever since and I owe such much to wally all the way through my life he has been influential and there for me. I have often wished I lived to closer to both you Andrew and wally as always enjoyed my visits both personally and professionally.

Please pass my thanks on when you next see him for everything and give Sylvia a hug from me

There are a few, less well known giants, to those who he tutored,

I'm sure that many more will remember his words,

I am sure that that many have gained from the mans experience and wisdom,

I know that the industry will appreciate and thank you for your time, wisdom and consideration.

Our heartfelt thoughts, best wishes go to Wally Smith and his family.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Godspeed.

Thank you all for your messages. I was with Wal this afternoon and he very much appreciated and enjoyed hearing from you all. :thumbup1:

It got us onto chatting over past work, training and other experiences, it's amazing really how many people that Wally has helped, trained and influenced in the early days of Arboriculture. The amount of knowledge that he has in anything to do with trees and timber is incredible, very knowledgeable on the saw milling and timber production front too. The large amount of sawn timber in our yard is testament to that.

I also wish to thank Wally as he trained me for my cs36 on the 15/6/1999, I have my own business and all my fingers and toes are still intact, undoubtedly down to Wally passing on his experience and inspiring me to continue in the industry. Even to this day I keep my turfor cable in a bike tyre!

Thank you Wally.

David Cleveland