I just got me a new Stihl 201T-C with M-tronic...

ArborClimber

I know this is an older string but I'd like to chime in.

I was looking for a comparison between the 201 and 193, I Stihl(ha?) don't know what to buy as there are so many slams against the S vs. H top handles.

I did however LOVE the comments on Stihl saws with bad track records. I was given a 261 for my CS30/31 and the other Lads had 260's. My saw was fookin embarrassing!!! Yes it cut and I passed but damn that thing had a sh*te tonne of issues!!!

I'm glad I trained on a model that I had to coddle and came thru on top!!!

On top, that's funny? I came in here looking for TOP handles............

Thanks all for the MYRIAD of FANTASTIC knowledge!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking for a comparison between the 201 and 193, I Stihl(ha?) don't know what to buy as there are so many slams against the S vs. H top handles.

I did however LOVE the comments on Stihl saws with bad track records. I was given a 261 for my CS30/31 and the other Lads had 260's. My saw was fookin embarrassing!!! Yes it cut and I passed but damn that thing had a sh*te tonne of issues!!!

I have the 201TC-M and 150TC, I've also used (and had to retune) a 193TC. The 193 literally fits the middle ground between the two. It's good for taking limbs off, but the 150 is better for light reductions, whilst the 201M is better for chogging down or large branch removal, although the 193 will do that, just slower. Really you can only compare build quality and price. The 193 is a pure clam design, so can't be modded as much as the 201 or 150, but it's similar to the 150 in plastic parts, it has a primer and metal dogs are an optional extra.

Perhaps it was "who" had been using the 261 beforehand ??? …that it was causing problems ???

I have used my 261 and "looked after it"…….. and it is great !

Just a passing thought :001_smile:

I too have just bought a 201-C (the back handle model) with M-Tronic. I didn't realise it was m-tronic until three days later when I couldn't find the carb screws! Bit miffed actually, because I specifically didn't want the auto tune carb....but I'll have to put up with it.

One immediate gripe is that the captive clutch cover nut vibrated loose on the first tank, threw the chain and the chain catcher mangled it. Yay for safety features, but too bad for the chain. Maybe a quarter of the chain drive links are trashed on the back curve, the part that makes contact with the sprocket, so, brand new chain = scrap.

Caught it doing it again today, but got it in time. I realise that I have to tighten the nut more than usual on my other saws, then it seems to be ok.

Flooded it this afternoon. Plug out, petrol out, pulled over till dry, and it was grand again.

Other than these few gripes it has been a pure joy to use. Feather light, no smoke, no smell, no vibes, powerful, handy, ergonomic, in short - painless...

Anyone know if the M-tronic can be replaced with a regular carb?

I too have just bought a 201-C (the back handle model) with M-Tronic. I didn't realise it was m-tronic until three days later when I couldn't find the carb screws! Bit miffed actually, because I specifically didn't want the auto tune carb....but I'll have to put up with it.

One immediate gripe is that the captive clutch cover nut vibrated loose on the first tank, threw the chain and the chain catcher mangled it. Yay for safety features, but too bad for the chain. Maybe a quarter of the chain drive links are trashed on the back curve, the part that makes contact with the sprocket, so, brand new chain = scrap.

Caught it doing it again today, but got it in time. I realise that I have to tighten the nut more than usual on my other saws, then it seems to be ok.

Flooded it this afternoon. Plug out, petrol out, pulled over till dry, and it was grand again.

Other than these few gripes it has been a pure joy to use. Feather light, no smoke, no smell, no vibes, powerful, handy, ergonomic, in short - painless...

Anyone know if the M-tronic can be replaced with a regular carb?

How'd you flood it?!

Yes, you can replace the carb, but you'll need a new top handle and coil too.