Timber storage Cunundrum???

arniecardigan

I've just been offered a new yard thats totally secure, flat with great access only problem is its smaller than my current yard by quite abit! My current yard has no security is wet, boggy and difficult to work so am really considering the smaller yard for all the good points.

My cunundrum is this

I will have to utilise all the space to the max and be really organised as there isn't enough space to store cord for any length of time, so do I split into logs stored in Herras fencing made stores or do I split and stack in Billets and then log to order??

Which storage method makes best use of space??

I know theres around 34to36 cubic meters of split logs in a single squared Herras store but how does that compare to a 12ft square stack of billets 8ft tall??

Any advice greatly recieved!!:thumbup:

My maths may be wrong but if you have a stack of billets that are a metre wide by 2.4m high you will be able to store 2.4 cube every metre. We have three hundred cubic metres in billets at the minute and it takes no room up compared to what 300 bags would. Our stack is 150 m long around 3 sides of our compound just over 2 m high.

My maths may be wrong but if you have a stack of billets that are a metre wide by 2.4m high you will be able to store 2.4 cube every metre. We have three hundred cubic metres in billets at the minute and it takes no room up compared to what 300 bags would. Our stack is 150 m long around 3 sides of our compound just over 2 m high.

So that would be a stacked 2.4m which would be far greater than a loose 2.4m!:lol:

How many bags would you get from your 300m of stacked billets??

Very good question il let you know at the end of winter first year we have done billets in a large scale. We processed all small stuff into bags for early winter and are will be starting to convert billets into logs in the next few weeks. Billets are the way forward for oversize timber. Dries fast. Uses less space to store than bags. Gives the option of doing different size logs for different customers. We trailed some last year maybe about 100 bags worth and were more than happy with the results. Some people will say you handle them too much but it suits our system.

Jim