Small billiet bundler

name_mike

• 1 year later...

Having considered buying a firewood processor, but not particularly keen to invest in and store boxes/potato boxes/IBC crates to store the short lengths in.

So deciding stick with billets and bundling.(better for seasoning/drying as well, I imagine)

I decided to revisit the subject of billet production and bundling & onward handling.

Now with a bale spike on the wee loader tractor I can easily handle/rehandle 0.5m3 (and indeed 1.0m3 bundles, if the *strapping were strong enough or the wood semi dry)

*Since I am currently working with fresh felled Lodgepole with a bulk density of 850 to 900kg/m3, (and btw I put a nice straight 300mm dia log in a bath of water to see how it floated, just barely being the answer, hence my 850-900kg assessment.)

Note to self **Really need to let it lie a 12month before splitting.

So my next "project" is the splitting operation, and how to minimize the back bending manual input associated with a vertical splitter.

Before I bought the vertical splitter, I had intended to buy a horizontal splitter.

Ergo!

I still think this might make sense, but any horizontal splitters I am aware of are 20 tonne and upwards, and appear to be intended for larger dia hardwoods.

Being "fed" from logs rolled on to a hydraulic platform at ground level.

Not the relatively slender conifer I am working with.

Thoughts please.

mth

P.S.

What I suppose I really want is a firewood processor to produce 1.0m lengths!

Edited by difflock

A vertical splitter with a remote controlled winch is king in my opinion. I opted for a Uniforest from Riko and i cant fault it when splitting oversized into 1m billets.

On the processor front, my hakki pilke can produce 600mm long logs, which is longer than most. I often bundle these and get two bundles on a standard pallet, which is nice for rehandling.

Edited by briquette_seller
Premature posting

I do, unfortunately it is not hydraulic, being direct chain drive from the PTO, & with no brake, so therefore either winching(& quite fast) or free-spooling, which makes it useless for positioning timber with any control.

I may consider retro-fitting a hyd winch, for simplicity driven off the tractor hydraulics.

cheers

mth

P.S.

Currently just about to test my prototype billet bundle wire rope tensioner, powered by the splitting ram, i.e. to pretension the bundle before strapping.

You may well hear the expletives this afternoon if/when it fails!

IF

It works, & I might just surprise myself, pics will rapidly follow:001_huh::lol:

Edited by difflock

I do, unfortunately it is not hydraulic, being direct chain drive from the PTO, & with no brake, so therefore either winching(& quite fast) or free-spooling, which makes it useless for positioning timber with any control.

I may consider retro-fitting a hyd winch, for simplicity driven off the tractor hydraulics.

cheers

mth

P.S.

Currently just about to test my prototype billet bundle wire rope tensioner, powered by the splitting ram, i.e. to pretension the bundle before strapping.

You may well hear the expletives this afternoon if/when it fails!

IF

It works, & I might just surprise myself, pics will rapidly follow:001_huh::lol:

I fitted an extra pulley to my winch so now has more control :thumbup1:

1/2 the speed, 1/2 the(already limited) reach, double the power, but still no brake?

cheers

marcus

I had a quick look on ebay and £650.00(ish) would buy a hydraulic winch designed FOR logsplitters, Ex Germany.

Hmmm!

Oi do loike my toys

No the pulley is on the control rope not the winch cable