Small billiet bundler

name_mike

Has anyone ever come across a small billet bundler? I'm after one that will do a bundle at 700mm diameter. This is so I can get the bundles to where my boiler is without having to split the bundle and re-stack by hand.

Also, has anyone ever tried to cross cut through the bundles with a large chainsaw to produce 3 or 4 shorter logs out of the bundle?

Mike

Has anyone ever come across a small billet bundler? I'm after one that will do a bundle at 700mm diameter. This is so I can get the bundles to where my boiler is without having to split the bundle and re-stack by hand.

Also, has anyone ever tried to cross cut through the bundles with a large chainsaw to produce 3 or 4 shorter logs out of the bundle?

Mike

If the bundle is strapped tight enough to be stable, the saw will most likely bind as the billets move under the strapping pressure on cutting.

Anyway even a single phase rocking cradle cross cut saw is plenty fast at cutting billets, to simply cut to length as needed beside the boiler.Oops, and guessing no dearer than a large chainsaw to purchase, plus chainsaws not best suited to cutting dry timber.

m

If the bundle is strapped tight enough to be stable, the saw will most likely bind as the billets move under the strapping pressure on cutting.

Anyway even a single phase rocking cradle cross cut saw is plenty fast at cutting billets, to simply cut to length as needed beside the boiler.Oops, and guessing no dearer than a large chainsaw to purchase, plus chainsaws not best suited to cutting dry timber.

m

1m billets are just right for the boiler. I'd be cutting them for family members stoves. I'm thinking I'll make a jig to drop the bundle into then untie them so they're loose then cross cut a couple of times with a chainsaw and let the logs fall out the bottom into a bag or box. It would only take a couple of 700mm bundles to loose fill a 1m3 bag.

Hello mike,

We got a local engineer to roll us a couple of half circles which we then welded into a frame made of 60x60x5mm box. Then we use 19mm webbing strapping and a really good tensioner which winds them down pretty tight. We then use log grab to lift them out and stack up.

Was less money than buying one, but already got the tools, welder etc.

Cheers, John.

Hello mike,

We got a local engineer to roll us a couple of half circles which we then welded into a frame made of 60x60x5mm box. Then we use 19mm webbing strapping and a really good tensioner which winds them down pretty tight. We then use log grab to lift them out and stack up.

Was less money than buying one, but already got the tools, welder etc.

Cheers, John.

I think I'll end up doing something similar. I think make 3 or four side by side so I can fill a few bundles off the splitter before having to stop and tie them.

• 2 months later...

Mike

I built one by bending scaffold poles into two upward facing, half octagons, 800mm internal diameter. Welded them onto two rails with a plywood octagon at one end.

It holds 1/2 cube of 1 metre billets once filled. When filled I tighten them up with an endless ratchet strap made from an old seatbelt. Once tight I secure each end with poly strapping, release the ratchet and roll whole unit over to eject the bundle.

Cheap as chips to make and bundles can be rolled around fairly easily.

A bit fiddly per cube because splitting has to stop to tie up bundles and free up the bundler.

Look up Holzbündelgerät on ebay.de for ideas.

Will try to post pictures of mine if it helps you. (Still new to this caper)

I built one by bending scaffold poles into two upward facing, half octagons, 800mm internal diameter. Welded them onto two rails with a plywood octagon at one end.

It holds 1/2 cube of 1 metre billets once filled. When filled I tighten them up with an endless ratchet strap made from an old seatbelt. Once tight I secure each end with poly strapping, release the ratchet and roll whole unit over to eject the bundle.

Cheap as chips to make and bundles can be rolled around fairly easily.

A bit fiddly per cube because splitting has to stop to tie up bundles and free up the bundler.

Look up Holzbündelgerät on ebay.de for ideas.

Will try to post pictures of mine if it helps you. (Still new to this caper)

Pics would be good. cheers.