Dangerous Agricultural / Forestry Vehicles

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

As I understand it this is what the reform of the CAP is trying to reduce although I don't think it goes far enough, as a farmer I have never claimed any subsidies, the confusion comes between landowners and farmers, I rent all the land I farm, under the current rules the landowner can claim all the subsidies without doing any work on or to the land, with the new reforms they will have to prove they are actively farming it which suddenly makes it less attractive to investors who have bought up and let land knowing they can get rent plus extra return from subsidies for doing nowt. Joe public tends to see the arable boys in big shiny tractors and it fuels the perception of rich farmers, they ignore the fact that uk food is produced under the highest welfare standards in the eu if not the world but the suppliers are screwed to down to prices at or below the cost of production by supermarkets who supply all the cheap food.

That's my gripe! The so called subsidy, in many cases, doesn't even go to the person working the land so it's no help to the hill farmer trying to eek out an existence! National Trust, Royal estate, very wealthy landowners, they all get the dosh so it doesn't even help the working farmer! The land valued subsidies are even traded and land sold but not with subsidy rights if I understand correctly?? How is thT not corrupt? How is it that the NAO allow this?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it just seems wrong that a farmer with a business worth a couple of million gets subsidised by the taxpayer. we've watched other industries like mining and shipbuilding go to the wall, I don't see why farming should be different.

Because you and the vast majority of the population will starve.

still amused.

no one has got the point yet.

subsidy's aim to keep the countryside looking like the public perceive it.

quaint farms and fields with animals in them.

oh,and politicians view,European food security.

it is, and always has been, pre 1st and 2 nd world wars, cheaper to import food.

plant more trees, but they can not get that right either.

I am amazed how ignorant some of you are about subsidies! If you want farmers to stop receiving subsidies then start paying true market value for your food and I can tell you, you wont like that much! next thing everyone will be complaining that they cant afford to live! Without subsidies farming in the market we live in is not viable and would only be if the true cost of production was accounted for on the shelves! The supermarkets are one of the worst culprits for wrecking the job as there is to much competition and yet the general public see no problem in buying cheap s##t from abroad and not supporting their own. The reason why british food is more expensive is because firstly we have the highest welfare/assurance standards in the world and secondly because of claim culture and the nanny state we live in. We cant just get on and work anymore, instead we need a ticket to get out of bed and that costs!! the world has gone mad! and we are to blame!

I am amazed how ignorant some of you are about subsidies! If you want farmers to stop receiving subsidies then start paying true market value for your food and I can tell you, you wont like that much! next thing everyone will be complaining that they cant afford to live! Without subsidies farming in the market we live in is not viable and would only be if the true cost of production was accounted for on the shelves! The supermarkets are one of the worst culprits for wrecking the job as there is to much competition and yet the general public see no problem in buying cheap s##t from abroad and not supporting their own. The reason why british food is more expensive is because firstly we have the highest welfare/assurance standards in the world and secondly because of claim culture and the nanny state we live in. We cant just get on and work anymore, instead we need a ticket to get out of bed and that costs!! the world has gone mad! and we are to blame!

:thumbup:

Ste