"Accidentally" cutting neighbours tree

spandit

whats wrong with simply going round nocking on the door and having a chat as a first step?

Most people have forgot how to do that, why get cold when they can add them on facebook/Twitter/other social media and message them, all from the confines of a warm house and a comfy chair?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the issue is, it's a second home and they're not often there. I have spoken briefly to her and she doesn't want the trimmings back, unsurprisingly. I'm sure you understand that I'm just getting a reaction posting this and I'm not intending on criminal damage but hadn't considered not being able to climb the trees.

I will draft a letter - might even mention the fact her trees are pushing my wall down!

Chances are the neighbor is not aware of the situation behind their hedge, out of sight, out of mind.

Instead of posting the provocative first post you made here, why not talk to the neighbor about your situation, it's not like it happened overnight, and find a nice favorable result if it is possible.

It is always prudent to wind your neck in & be reasonable, at least to begin with, if someone decided to commit criminal damage to my property they would feel the full force of retribution,is that what you want?

Part of the issue is, it's a second home and they're not often there. I have spoken briefly to her and she doesn't want the trimmings back, unsurprisingly. I'm sure you understand that I'm just getting a reaction posting this and I'm not intending on criminal damage but hadn't considered not being able to climb the trees.

I will draft a letter - might even mention the fact her trees are pushing my wall down!

If the trees are pushing the wall over, then that totally changes the perspective on this matter.

If the trees are causal to Direct Damage, then that becomes an actionable nuisance and the landowners have a duty to recompense you for any material loss you incur in having to rectify the damage.

Take photos of the damage and get 3 quotes on what it would cost to repair. Include costs to remove the parts of the trees (including whole tree removal if that's what it's going to take), and send them a copy of everything.

Politely advise them that you are giving them choice of rectifying the problem themselves at their expense, and put them on notice that you will have no choice to carry out the mitigation works yourself and pursue them for your incured loss if they refuse.

And most importantly of all, keep us posted on the outcome. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

If you don't know them that well, and they are rarely around...........Now consider dropping her a note to confirm the verbal agreement. That ways it's written down when one forgets the exact discussion in a few weeks.

And sometimes it's worth offering to clean up her side (trim etc.) and build up some good will in the bank.