How long does your PPE last you?

deezyboy

I searched for this but couldn't find anything posted before.

How long does your PPE last you? I know, how long is a piece of string but...

Ive gone through 3 pairs of Oregon waipou trousers in about 2 years, now gone on to SIP and although comfier the pocket zip has already gone bust after 2 months.

I've used Stein explorer boots since day 1 and find them really comfortable but have gone through 2 pairs in 2 years, mother was yelling tonight as she thought I had worn my boots upstairs, in actual fact the muddy tracks were a result of my soaking wet and plastered in mud SOCKS! the sole comes just comes straight off after a while.

Is there anything anyone does to prolong their ppe? Its important stuff and I wouldn't work without any of it, but at the same time its cost me £885 in 2.5 years!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I searched for this but couldn't find anything posted before.

How long does your PPE last you? I know, how long is a piece of string but...

Ive gone through 3 pairs of Oregon waipou trousers in about 2 years, now gone on to SIP and although comfier the pocket zip has already gone bust after 2 months.

I've used Stein explorer boots since day 1 and find them really comfortable but have gone through 2 pairs in 2 years, mother was yelling tonight as she thought I had worn my boots upstairs, in actual fact the muddy tracks were a result of my soaking wet and plastered in mud SOCKS! the sole comes just comes straight off after a while.

Is there anything anyone does to prolong their ppe? Its important stuff and I wouldn't work without any of it, but at the same time its cost me £885 in 2.5 years!

I have 3 pairs of chainsaw trousers and 2, pairs of climbing boots ( airstrems) and various chsinsaw boots and rotate using them. They all get equal wear but not constant and last for ages.:thumbup:

You got to look at price per wear sometimes it pays to spend a bit more to get longer life but buy two products at £100 they sometimes only last as long as one £200 product so what offered better value ? Neither, they were the same price per wear. I know guys who can destroy PPE in weeks when others in the same product get years out of them. Why ? Enviromental impact hawthorn or chestnut, job role foreman or climber. Everyone seems so quick to blame the product. There are lots of products out there for lots of different jobs as the man says on raiders of the lost ark "choose wisely"

Edited by ArbjobsNick
Editorial errors

I still have, and use, the Stihl chaps, gloves and wellies I bought in 1998. The wellies now leak so I have a new pair which are stiffer and less comfortable. I have replaced the hat as it went out of date and the ear defenders are less effective.

Alec

My Haix boots protector pros seem to last 1 year to 18 months before the things fall apart. Always the sole splitting too. I clean them polish them and wax them too which maxes it all the more annoying that they last so poorly. Especially since they don't get used for climbing.

Trousers i get 2 years minimum from which isn't bad. I got 5 years from my first pair of Stretch Airs and they were ruined as i tore the outer material badly. Got some Gladiator 2s this time and i've had them 2 years now. Starting to look a little tatty around the bramble line but still good.

If you have two sets of of PPE you can spread the wear out a bit. Nothing is better than after having a soaking wet day and know you have spare dry kit for the morning. Then look at the miserble sods in the van in the morning with yesterdays half dam boots and trousers on and just think to your self money well spent.