Avant 420?

Daggi

Hello

I am looking to buy a Avant 420.

And i need some advice from some one else who own or operate a 420/520.

I work with tree removals, im not a arborist, but we take down trees in garden and for for company that are going to dig and build houses etc.

Most of the jobs we do are i gardens.

We do most of the job manually, i have tractor and winch but that we use for bigger jobs.

Often it is 1-2-3 trees of different sizes, both small and big trees, and after the tree is taken down we use most muscles work :)

But i want to keep on working with with tree removals and i see that i have to use some equipment to reduce the muscle work(manual work?).

So i am not destroying my self the next years...

And thats why i have started to think about the Avant 420.

My opinion is that this machine will bee a great tool for me and my company.

Its small, good turning radius, good lifting capacity, telescopic boom for lifting timber etc in to a container or truck.

And with the extra equipment as anti slip and drive release valve for diff lock and not destroying the ground in the garden it will work good.

But i have never tried this Avant before, i am going to test a demo Avant 420 soon.

I want to geet some feedback about the negative and positive things about Avant?

So i hope i can get some feedback from people that are using the Avant, and specially Avant 420, for work with customer regarding helping out on tree removals??

And english is not my main language :) So hope you understand :D

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are loads of posts on here about them, just do a search for avant or mini loader or skid steer. I have put on loads of pics of my 420, there is also loads of stuff on youtube.

Don't expect it to grip like your tractor or like a skid steer. But if you don't want to make a mess they are great.

ok, negatives.

it will lift 600kg, but its very sketchy if you turn or are on uneven ground with that weight on.

it articulates but does not oscillate (i think thats the right word. doesn't twist) so can end up with only 2 wheels on the ground and gripping often. also when balance does change, the wheel off ground can come down with a fair bump, not a problem unless you have a load on!

have to throttle up to move quickly, but have to remember to throttle back to move load or movement is very rapid and jerky.

a lot of plastic covers does make you have to think how to secure it to trailer. it does have proper tie down points at very front and very back but if trailer is only just long enough you can't use them appropriately. Im just about to try the ratchet strap car wheel fixing method, i.e. one on each wheel.

wheel motors are slightly under powered for my liking. (slows down a bit on steep ground.)

attachments are expensive compared to pto equipment.

Looks like a toy!

All this aside it is a great tool, works well for my business, saves my back!

also,

forward and reverse pedals are quite close together, i find that often i push both together and go nowhere!

the articulated steering takes a lot of getting used to, have to watch your corners a lot especially if your up tight to an object.

if i was buying new again and had more money, i would look at the newer version, i think its the r35.

also,

forward and reverse pedals are quite close together, i find that often i push both together and go nowhere!

the articulated steering takes a lot of getting used to, have to watch your corners a lot especially if your up tight to an object.

if i was buying new again and had more money, i would look at the newer version, i think its the r35.

It's not pressing both, it's pressing the wrong one that's a problem, especially with a heavy load, then zooming off in the wrong direction

I took a while to establish why i was going back instead of forward and visa versa.

Bloody hydro pedals are arse-about-face/other-way-round compared to the long established JD 3720 tractor.

So i got them changed = success.

The other intractable issue is the swivel steering when using the forklift to lift closely stacked pallets, say off a lorry after heavy braking.

The swivel steering makes it quite impossible to move the pallet out sideways, unless one swings in sideways "just so" so one really NEEDS the hydraulic side-shift pallet toes.

Other than that a useful tool.

Ours is used with an edging blade/bucket on the front (miles of Cycle paths)

Plus a hydraulic drive rotary wire brush to scrub weeds from kerblines and off areas of Pavoirs (caravan park incl)

Plus jibbling misc palletized stores about the depot, emptying bins in the Cem etc etc, filling sand for pitchs etc etc.

Marcus

PS

Ours is a 640, which with rear weights and a silage grab (to lift bushs) comes in at 2080kg, so nicely legal on a 3000kg/3500kg trailer

I have the 520, and its a dream to use, drive and has revolutionised my business, and has made me money. I have lifted some heavy loads with mine, and the pivot steer does mean it can tip up a bit when turning, but you soon get used to it. I have pallet forks, bucket, grab, sweeper, jib boom and firewood processor for mine. I really want the next size up, but need to save first