New 7.5 tonner rules, Good News for once?

LGP Eddie

I'm probably opposite in having no issues with the restricted operators licence or the maintenance etc, as I'd want to know all was ok with the truck anyway.

I simply want to drive it to and from site with my kit basically when I like without all the associated hassle of a tacho and the restrictions they bring.

I think that there is forming a straightforward path now for use up to 100k from base as long as it's not your main work, and that includes the cpc?

I know exactly what you're saying and it's obviously business use, but if you simply go to/from site then professional driving is not your main line of work?

I already keep a diary of my work, so if a simple log is all that's required of the driving plus other work it would be no hassle at all?

I would get it all professionally checked out beforehand though, as I'm fully aware what a minefield it is and the cost of getting it wrong?

Eddie.

I agree were on a restricted o licence for a 7.5 tonner and don't have any problems with inspection regime etc ,it's there for yours and other peoples safety.

The 100k distance from base will be of great benefit to us but we will have to keep driving hours log to comply with GB regs we have digi tachometer in vehicle .

The hire or reward / cpc issue is open to interpretation and vague if you carry tools for your job and driving is not your main occupation then you are exempt from cpc in my opinion.

You'll only really know when you get a tug by VOSA but then it's too late!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only questioned it due to using a minibus, which under similar circumstances requires a CPC.

I don't have an issue with vehicle maintenance checks, I have my 3 trucks used for towing inspected independently even though they don't have to be, but due to them towing at full capacity all the time I am happy to have the piece of mind.

But from bitter experience I know what VOSA can be like when they want to dig their heels in (I am being really polite there) :)

Apologies if anyone has covered this, but it seems it could be positive news for once with regard to owning a 7.5 tonner?

https://movingon.blog.gov.uk/changes-to-tachograph-rules-for-local-journeys/

I'd be interested in one myself if it meant being able to take tools/kit to site and ditch the Defender Ifor setup.

Eddie.

At the moment that distance limit is 50kms, so its only expanding the radius of operations. Note that when taking equipment to site teh driver MUST ( to comply) be involved in the use of the equipment, he cant drop and go, thats a tacho requirement.

Transport of goods for hire/reward (so profit, ie logs) still needs a tacho if the max train weight is over 3500kg. So Landrover and decent sized IFW trailer delivering logs to end user then tacho needed.

A

I have checked out the Driver CPC issue and as far as I can see you need said CPC on any vehicle, not vehicle and trailer , that is over 3.5 tons. The only exemption for Arb work is the lorry carries the tools of the trade for the drivers daily work and driving is not his main occupation of the day. If you carry 1 log or bag of sawdust home to sell , then technically a CPC is needed. The VOSA website gives clear examples relating to farmers and fencing work requires when a CPC is required and when not. Regards tachos, it doesnt seem to matter whether produce or tools are being carried and in all cases you still need an operating licence if the vehicle exceeds 3.5 tons unladen. Also to remember drivers who passed the driving test after Jan 1997 need a HGV licence to drive a 7.5 ton lorry as car test only allows up to 3.5 tons

At the moment that distance limit is 50kms, so its only expanding the radius of operations. Note that when taking equipment to site teh driver MUST ( to comply) be involved in the use of the equipment, he cant drop and go, thats a tacho requirement.

Transport of goods for hire/reward (so profit, ie logs) still needs a tacho if the max train weight is over 3500kg. So Landrover and decent sized IFW trailer delivering logs to end user then tacho needed.

A

So is there now a loophole if you convert to natural gas you can deliver goods.

I have checked out the Driver CPC issue and as far as I can see you need said CPC on any vehicle, not vehicle and trailer , that is over 3.5 tons. The only exemption for Arb work is the lorry carries the tools of the trade for the drivers daily work and driving is not his main occupation of the day. If you carry 1 log or bag of sawdust home to sell , then technically a CPC is needed. The VOSA website gives clear examples relating to farmers and fencing work requires when a CPC is required and when not. Regards tachos, it doesnt seem to matter whether produce or tools are being carried and in all cases you still need an operating licence if the vehicle exceeds 3.5 tons unladen. Also to remember drivers who passed the driving test after Jan 1997 need a HGV licence to drive a 7.5 ton lorry as car test only allows up to 3.5 tons

I think the natural gas loophole could also apply here.

I cant see what the fuss is about, filling in a tacho takes seconds. Keeping them with you for the last 28 days is not really a hardship. If the dvla and vosa wanted to give small industry a boost all they needed to do was extend the pathetic exemptions that apply to 3.5t gvw trucks to 7.5t, if they were harassed enough they probably would.

Bob

Still a potential minefield, I now use home as base with 4x4 + IFW trailer When looked at replacing 4x4 told by dealer new one would have to have tacho fitted for £1200! Carn't go bigger than 3.5T as would need O licence and no chance of using residential for parking up 7.5T truck if I could at least 4 bods near me would be swapping transits for trucks. Spoke to machinery dealer when he was delivering machine he said he has tacho fitted as bulk of his work is driving didn't think I needed one as driving not my main work I'm commuting to place of work! Now read posts worried I am wrong?

Been advised a Daf can get on or very close to 4 tonne payload if you go the alloy body route?

Plenty of decent machines available for such a payload?

I'll certainly be finding out more as 100k radius is plenty for me most of the time, and I certainly don't want it for hire/reward haulage type work.

Eddie.

Eddie,

Also look at Mitisibisu Canter 7.5 tonne, we have taken delivery of one with a full "Buaffalo" board floor, a 5.5m long body, incl beavertail, full width alloy tailgate ramp (gas assisted, quite beautifully) and a 5 tonne 24V recovery winch.

And the slight weight penalty of the standard-fit automated gearbox.

All of Which, after allowing 260kg for a full tank of diesel, and a Driver with a large piecebox.

Gives a full legal payload of 4000kg.

Which allows for a genunine 3500kg excavator, plus buckets (especially with an unbraked 750kg trailer on behind)

cheers

marcus

Which allows for a genunine 3500kg excavator, plus buckets (especially with an unbraked 750kg trailer on behind)

cheers

marcus

Which, in the context of this thread, puts you to a MAM of 8.25 and firmly in the requirement to use the tacho.

As I see it the main benifit in the new rules if for those of us who drive transits with chippers more than 50km and less than 100km from base as all 7.5 tonners have tachos from new and it costs a lot (~31200) to retrofit a tacho.