New 7.5 tonner rules, Good News for once?

LGP Eddie

Whats the maximum size digger you can get on a 7.5tonner legally- am I right in thinking much bigger than 3 ton( with buckets etc) and you'll be over your payload?

Don't quote me, because I'm no Trucker, but I think some 7.5 toners can get up to around the 4 tonne payload?

I assume the trade off is you need a certain strength in the body to carry the weight, plus the rams setup, and that all goes against you?

I've never seen it done except on a 3.5 tonner, but I assume for max payload you could have a bare minimum skeletal body of 2 alloy channels for the tracks plus a little alloy platform for the attachments?

I think something at 3 tonne with a healthy range of attachments would be well legal?

Eddie.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quote me, because I'm no Trucker, but I think some 7.5 toners can get up to around the 4 tonne payload?

I assume the trade off is you need a certain strength in the body to carry the weight, plus the rams setup, and that all goes against you?

I've never seen it done except on a 3.5 tonner, but I assume for max payload you could have a bare minimum skeletal body of 2 alloy channels for the tracks plus a little alloy platform for the attachments?

I think something at 3 tonne with a healthy range of attachments would be well legal?

Eddie.

That'd do nicely:thumbup1:

If a row of levers then that's same as my Kesla valve block, to switch to electrical lever control I needed new valve block plus other kit and that's where economics start to go awry.

YJC tapped into servo system for crane so now I push button and crane levers work the Kesla.

You'll do just fine with the crane levers I think?

I had just got to the point of playing with the Harvesting Head, as it's a used unit purchased through Wilsons that John simply did the controls etc for me, but the Kubota started giving me other hassle so I've got no further?

I hope to try again shortly to see if I can master working it my way with the Engcon controls, and if I can I'll get the head fully checked over before putting it to work.

Eddie.

That'd do nicely:thumbup1:

Been advised a Daf can get on or very close to 4 tonne payload if you go the alloy body route?

Plenty of decent machines available for such a payload?

I'll certainly be finding out more as 100k radius is plenty for me most of the time, and I certainly don't want it for hire/reward haulage type work.

Eddie.

a big + would be raising the o.liesence to from 3.5t to 5t,or just under 5t,

Indeed

I don't really see what the problem is with tacho's

O licences were always our biggest issue when running lorries, and that will get worse with VOSA being self funded imo.

Eddie are you sure you wouldn't need a CPC ?, you will be driving for hire and reward at the end of the day, even though it is indirectly.

Edited by scraggs

Indeed

O licences were always our biggest issue when running lorries, and that will get worse with VOSA being self funded imo.

Eddie are you sure you wouldn't need a CPC ?, you will be driving for hire and reward at the end of the day, even though it is indirectly.

Who with a truck would not be???

The rules say if driving not your main work, you don't need it, if that rule is not aimed at the likes of us, who is it for???

Indeed

I'm probably opposite in having no issues with the restricted operators licence or the maintenance etc, as I'd want to know all was ok with the truck anyway.

I simply want to drive it to and from site with my kit basically when I like without all the associated hassle of a tacho and the restrictions they bring.

I think that there is forming a straightforward path now for use up to 100k from base as long as it's not your main work, and that includes the cpc?

I know exactly what you're saying and it's obviously business use, but if you simply go to/from site then professional driving is not your main line of work?

I already keep a diary of my work, so if a simple log is all that's required of the driving plus other work it would be no hassle at all?

I would get it all professionally checked out beforehand though, as I'm fully aware what a minefield it is and the cost of getting it wrong?

Eddie.