How dry can seasoned logs get?

MikeM

Now try it on some wooden furniture stubby, bet its the same.

Hang on mate ........The underside of a pine scrub top table in the back room came up 10% same for a small table leg but the back of a speaker cabinet came up at 8% . Have to amend my first post , the log must have been 8% as that is the lowest reading on the meter .

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on mate ........The underside of a pine scrub top table in the back room came up 10% same for a small table leg but the back of a speaker cabinet came up at 8% . Have to amend my first post , the log must have been 8% as that is the lowest reading on the meter .

When I first got my metre I was testing anything and everything, there is a broom in my shed and hasn't seen the light of day for at least ten years, that read 16%, I always think you can only get the wood down to what your atmosphere dictates.

When I first got my metre I was testing anything and everything, there is a broom in my shed and hasn't seen the light of day for at least ten years, that read 16%, I always think you can only get the wood down to what your atmosphere dictates.

Thats exactly true Steve . Its balances itself out given sufficient time . If the air is dry and the wood is wet the wood will give up moisture untill it matches the air . If the wood is dry and the air is humid the wood will take up moisture .

Thats exactly true Steve . Its balances itself out given sufficient time . If the air is dry and the wood is wet the wood will give up moisture untill it matches the air . If the wood is dry and the air is humid the wood will take up moisture .

Exactly stubby, which is why I cant understand people buying kiln dried logs , because surely unless you keep them in a heated kiln or such like they resort back to your atmospheric level. (no offence kiln dried suppliers)

Get over it mate, logs are a more hassle than they are worth really, I'm getting to the point where I will pack in doing them soon. If they are dry and seasoned they will burn. To many people getting anal about logs. Let them crack on and I'll do my thing!

I've got nothing to get over really. I don't sell logs and I certainly wouldn't buy from them at £269 for a 2 cubic meter pallet even if it is neatly stacked. Just annoyed me that they are clearly misleading people and also claiming to save the planet by shipping firewood half way round the world.

Exactly stubby, which is why I cant understand people buying kiln dried logs , because surely unless you keep them in a heated kiln or such like they resort back to your atmospheric level. (no offence kiln dried suppliers)

I think the reason people buy kiln is they think it went down to 15% and may be back up to 18 but at least its not 40 like alot of the tipped loads you see about. No advantage to kiln dried over enviroment friendly properly air dried local logs.

Several years ago I went around the buildings taking moisture readings from hardwood billets at the end of summer 14 percent,then fencing materials in the same buildings bought many years ago 14 percent.By the end of November same timber in the same places 19 percent.

unless wood is kept in a "dry" atmosphere, it will match the relitive humidity around it, remember it is a natural material, it will give up moisture to a drier enviroment, likewise it will take up moisture from a wetter one, forget moisture meters, if it rings when struck, it'll burn fine