How dry can seasoned logs get?

MikeM

A large advertisement for a company selling kiln dried (and presumably imported) hardwood appears on the front page of my local paper this week. It claims “our logs are dried to around 10%-15% moisture. Even the most seasoned logs still contain around 30% moisture. The advert then goes on about the product’s virtues in terms of being kind to the environment. Not something I particularly associate with imported logs.

Went to my store, pulled out the first log I came to from the pile I cut two years ago and split last year, split it again, stuck in the moisture meter and got a reading of 19.2%. Either I’m defying science, my meter is bust, or this lot are putting out misleading advertisements.

Can anyone enlighten me on the facts about how dry logs seasoned in say the North East of England can get, or point me in the direction of some hard evidence? I’m not a commercial log producer, but I don’t like people being mislead and I’m tempted to bring this advertisement to the attention of the ASA.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of ours are around 17% and won't go lower during a Dartmoor winter. Sounds like the add in you local rag is telling untruths :thumbdown:

This table was posted on her a while back Wood Equilibrium Moisture Content Calculator from Wood Workers Source.com Just look at the external RH and tempertures to find out what can be done.

A large advertisement for a company selling kiln dried (and presumably imported) hardwood appears on the front page of my local paper this week. It claims “our logs are dried to around 10%-15% moisture. Even the most seasoned logs still contain around 30% moisture. The advert then goes on about the product’s virtues in terms of being kind to the environment. Not something I particularly associate with imported logs.

Went to my store, pulled out the first log I came to from the pile I cut two years ago and split last year, split it again, stuck in the moisture meter and got a reading of 19.2%. Either I’m defying science, my meter is bust, or this lot are putting out misleading advertisements.

Can anyone enlighten me on the facts about how dry logs seasoned in say the North East of England can get, or point me in the direction of some hard evidence? I’m not a commercial log producer, but I don’t like people being mislead and I’m tempted to bring this advertisement to the attention of the ASA.

Get over it mate, logs are a more hassle than they are worth really, I'm getting to the point where I will pack in doing them soon. If they are dry and seasoned they will burn. To many people getting anal about logs. Let them crack on and I'll do my thing!