Living in the woods - volunteers needed to help with winter work

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I got fed up of my townie's life and decided to travel, see some new places, try different things. I ended up woofing in France. My discovery was rural life and outdoors work. On one farm I worked with Lourent from Quebec- lumberjack and man of many talents. That's the first time I got my hands on the chainsaw, later I spent rest of my time on the farm cutting firewood and felling my first trees. Second farm was owned by british family in Pyrenees, guy was a tree surgeon. Time there was spent climbing trees and learning knots etc.

I think this year of "work for bed and food" showed me what I wanted to do in my life. Now every day I load my pick up with toys and go to work thinking how fortunate I am to do what I enjoy.

Hi Arbtalkers,

Just to let you know that there is a great team of volunteers helping out on the land. 4 of us in total working the hill.

A young french chap who wants to go to Quebec to learn tree-surgery, an English lad taking a year out after college & loving helping on farms and picking up skills, and a green-woodworker who has been camping in Switzerland helping plant trees there.

A great bunch blessed with the best weather of November & December I remember. Loads of wood extracted and by the track & a lot of fun.

|Thanks for an interesting read and for those of you who have volunteered to help.

SilkyFox - it would be great to have a hand felling a few of the larch that are in the way (Climbing skills we don't have) as this will help open up avenues for felling sensitively in otherwise crowded areas. If you are able to take any time in the new year to come down that would be fantastic.

Sadly Tommy has hurt his back so can't come and help - but we've got a good team now and looks set to be a great winter. Best wishes to you all for a wonderful festive season.

• 2 weeks later...