Living in the woods - volunteers needed to help with winter work

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in the beginning it sounds such an interesting project I would have been on my way down there yesterday.i would have been very happy to offer my services for free in return for living accomodation (caravan would have been fine) and some food. I would have enjoyed meeting new people and adventures like this are character building, fun and great to write about and share.....but I am settled where I am these days....still wouldn't mind going down for a week. Good luck with it....sounds interesting.

But that's just my opinion.:)

Edited by silky fox

Dear Original Poster,

I... AM... INTERESTED! I'll PM you in a bit, but first I have something to do.

Hi everyone. I'm what is known (as you may have read on this thread), as a 'wwoofer'. I am currently 'wwoofing' in France, and have been doing so on and off for 3 years in the UK.

That's right. I've been working for free, for no wage or salary. I've been a slave. If we had to look at it financially, considering the costs of meals and accommodation, I have been ripped off more than those living on minimum wage in the UK. Especially as most wwoofing hosts, provide you with food from their farmland, meaning they haven't reaaaally spent money on it other than time and irrigation and perhaps the seeds and tools required to work the land.

BUT, have I actually been ripped off? Consider this. In the last 3 years of wwoofing, I have learnt to: beekeep, build cob (strawbale/mud) eco-homes, build a rocket stove (firewood heater), learn about organic gardening and food growing, canning food, how to make a greenwood stool and spoon, a shave horse, orchard maintenance/pruning, setting up phytoepuration systems (grey water treatment area), take care of chickens, kill and prepare chickens, joinery, carpentry, coppice work practice with chainsaw (I have CS30 n 31) and using traditional tools, how to make cider. And much much more I can't think of right now.

Now, in terms of costs, how many courses do you think I would have had to attend to learn all of that, and in over how many years? Think travel costs, food for the day, the cost of the courses.

I've only spent time. And on top of that it's allowed me to meet amazing people, drink free booze and smoke free pot on many occasions. I've had the pleasure of living in a yurt for 2 weeks in the woods, without having to pay 500GBP for the privilege.. I've also had no contracts, which means no CV, no job interview, no stress, no pressure. I can basically leave when I want (although it'd be rude admittedly to leave without giving some kind of notice.. morals oblige).

So yeah, I'm a slave. But a very fortunate one. I recommend everyone tries it once. It's quite a humbling experience working in exchange for learning with no exchange of money. It's also quite amazing not using your wallet for weeks, and knowing that your bank statements aren't being cleared because of rent/mortgage or other. Oh, and because most wwoof hosts are farmers, you tend to eat amazing heart and soul warming food. Man's gotta eat. And I eat very well!

Try it ;)

As I said in the beginning it sounds such an interesting project I would have been on my way down there yesterday.i would have been very happy to offer my services for free in return for living accomodation (caravan would have been fine) and some food. I would have enjoyed meeting new people and adventures like this are character building, fun and great to write about and share.....but I am settled where I am these days....still wouldn't mind going down for a week. Good luck with it....sounds interesting.

But that's just my opinion.:)

HI PAUL well done i think this great mate im sure you will find someone soon thanks jon :thumbup:

Dear Original Poster,

Hi everyone. I'm what is known (as you may have read on this thread), as a 'wwoofer'. I am currently 'wwoofing' in France, and have been doing so on and off for 3 years in the UK.

That's right. I've been working for free, for no wage or salary. I've been a slave. If we had to look at it financially, considering the costs of meals and accommodation, I have been ripped off more than those living on minimum wage in the UK. Especially as most wwoofing hosts, provide you with food from their farmland, meaning they haven't reaaaally spent money on it other than time and irrigation and perhaps the seeds and tools required to work the land.

BUT, have I actually been ripped off? Consider this. In the last 3 years of wwoofing, I have learnt to: beekeep, build cob (strawbale/mud) eco-homes, build a rocket stove (firewood heater), learn about organic gardening and food growing, canning food, how to make a greenwood stool and spoon, a shave horse, orchard maintenance/pruning, setting up phytoepuration systems (grey water treatment area), take care of chickens, kill and prepare chickens, joinery, carpentry, coppice work practice with chainsaw (I have CS30 n 31) and using traditional tools, how to make cider. And much much more I can't think of right now.

Now, in terms of costs, how many courses do you think I would have had to attend to learn all of that, and in over how many years? Think travel costs, food for the day, the cost of the courses.

I've only spent time. And on top of that it's allowed me to meet amazing people, drink free booze and smoke free pot on many occasions. I've had the pleasure of living in a yurt for 2 weeks in the woods, without having to pay 500GBP for the privilege.. I've also had no contracts, which means no CV, no job interview, no stress, no pressure. I can basically leave when I want (although it'd be rude admittedly to leave without giving some kind of notice.. morals oblige).

So yeah, I'm a slave. But a very fortunate one. I recommend everyone tries it once. It's quite a humbling experience working in exchange for learning with no exchange of money. It's also quite amazing not using your wallet for weeks, and knowing that your bank statements aren't being cleared because of rent/mortgage or other. Oh, and because most wwoof hosts are farmers, you tend to eat amazing heart and soul warming food. Man's gotta eat. And I eat very well!

Try it ;)

Well done, good on you!

Question, whilst living your humble existence, did you at any time rely upon UK or reciprocal EU healthcare provision, did you qualify for any government funding - student loan, JSA etc etc, did you pay your council tax to have your (without a doubt reduced) garbage cleared, did you use a library, a bus, any local government services, public toilet, did you walk on lit streets, call upon the services of the local constabulary or fire service? Maybe you get the point, if you answered 'yes' to any of the above, you're welcome, the tax paying few were in part funding your holiday.

It might be that a small part of me is envious of your personal situation (not in a way that I'd want to trade places) but I do 'get' the romantic ideal and I salute you for doing it. Trouble I have with that though is the hopelessly romantic vision doesn't really stand up to scrutiny and it's possible to see the carefree, off the grid, drop out, traveller actually as a drain on the society that is providing the platform for that chosen lifestyle.

Dear Original Poster,

Try it ;)

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Good for you!!!!

Take no notice of those who try to trample on your dreams!!

Your not claiming benefits, milking the system like many do, your not becoming a fat slob who needs a gastric band fitting, your keeping alive many skills that will be lost if a £ value needs to be nailed to them.

Long may your sort keep on swimming against the tide!!!:thumbup1:

Don't be pulled down by the bureaucratic loving, stick in the muds!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

PS, I've got a load of work needs doing, I'll throw in a tent and a pasty, any takers?? :lol::lol::lol:

When I was younger I travelled quite a bit and was involved with many varied projects along my way. House building in Oz, tractor driving (and crashing) in NZ. Motor barge work in France, Thames sailing barge work in the UK (Still doing that one) Tipi building in Wales. Sometimes money changed hands, sometimes it didn't.

If your project was interesting enough and I was in your area I'd offer to lend a hand.........

I have a broad skill range AND some surprising Q's to offer and these have stood me in good stead over the years in part-time employment and full time employment.

So hats off to the opportunist and it is up to them to be the judge of slavery....

codlasher.