Log Goblins

aspenarb

Wish this was happening round my way I'd be there every day, running my fire through winter can be a problem. Stone house with solid walls, the fire won't go out for 3 months, get through a builders bag a week so any free logs helps keep my costs down, I can get a bag of silver birch for 40 quid, but £40/week is a lot for me. Even timber you see as low quality can be chopped, stacked and dried to make acceptable firewood.

• Like 1

Wish this was happening round my way I'd be there every day, running my fire through winter can be a problem. Stone house with solid walls, the fire won't go out for 3 months, get through a builders bag a week so any free logs helps keep my costs down, I can get a bag of silver birch for 40 quid, but £40/week is a lot for me. Even timber you see as low quality can be chopped, stacked and dried to make acceptable firewood.

PM sent

Sounds like you need some serious insulation. I live in a big old stone farmhouse with 2ft thick stone walls and would struggle to use a builders bag per month and thats including cooking as well as central heating,.

Blaggy there must be a tree surgeon/forester near you. Just touch base with them and work out a deal. That last lot was gone before I locked up last night :)

Bob

I wish this was happening round my way too - anyone in Mid-Norfolk that wants to get rid of wood just let me know:thumbup:

I wish this was happening round my way too - anyone in Mid-Norfolk that wants to get rid of wood just let me know:thumbup:

What he said ^^^^ anything in the Elgin & Inverness areas or in between, willing to work for it. :001_smile:

I wish this was happening round my way too

Me three!

:biggrin:

Got in touch with the local tree surgeon when I moved here a couple of years ago AND OFFERED MONEY for waste that I could buck, split and season (since the local log people I've used are poor IMO) and nothing ever came of it.

Oh well.

:confused1:

Moral of the story, the Home Counties are very affluent, nobody will pay for waste wood.

I've got tonnes of conifer, willow etc in my field,we live in an area where sweet chestnut grows as coppice like wheat (SW France) Farmers sell it in the winter as a cash sideline.

I'd either have to pay to get rid of my softwood or I'll put a match to it one day.