Log Goblins

aspenarb

10 hours ago, Vespasian said:

to some, to me its just waste that wants getting shut of..   not done a tree for a while but did one today, was glad of the fella who stopped his car and asked if he could have any of the wood.   take the bloody lot I said.. took him three trips back and forth but got shut of the logs soon enough...   good luck and good riddance as far as I can see..

Exactly “to some” it has value, hows the log goblins going to know if the wood stacked at the side of the road is valuable to that particular contractor if it’s just “lying around” without anyone around to ask? 

Brilliant idea to offer free wood to the goblins though. 

16 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Exactly “to some” it has value, hows the log goblins going to know if the wood stacked at the side of the road is valuable to that particular contractor if it’s just “lying around” without anyone around to ask? 

Maybe work on the premise that if you know it doesn't belong to you, don't take it without asking?

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

I think most folk see wood stacked roadside as free for the taking. Mulched in a service road up the side of a dual carriageway for the council about a year ago, everything up the steep banks roadside had to be hand cut and stacked.  My mate came and took all the decent log wood leaving tons of Willow/crap  , the goblins cleared the rest as if it was their right. No one  came up to me at any point and asked if they could take it  :)

They were dragging it up these steep banks to load it into their cars.

image_zpshblrsd7k.jpg

image_zpsfffrpzri.jpg

image_zpsxvgv2hb4.jpg

38 minutes ago, AHPP said:

It’s a poverty issue. Many would agree the UN, Oxfam etc should be in the South East of England.

Poverty is a funny thing these days. People travel to food banks in their car with a £600 phone in their pocket.

• Like 5

Went on a milling job,
2 large ash and an oak, up a forest track.
Drove up and down 2 miles, looking for a stack of ash and birch with the two big ash logs next to it.
Just a clearing with bits of bark left.
The only reason the oak was left as it was completely overgrown with brambles and hard to spot.

Short day.
[emoji51]

1 hour ago, felixthelogchopper said:

Maybe work on the premise that if you know it doesn't belong to you, don't take it without asking?

Exactly, the point i was getting to.

Vesp implied previously that wood left lying about was fair game, free for taking. as it had no value to him, yet mentioned to some it has value. 

Great if you're like vesp and appreciate people taking wood, not so great if that wood was of value to you. 

The person helping themselves to the wood, won't know if its a waste or a value product if theres no one to ask, so  IMO its not "fair game to take it as its lying around"

Personally i put up a post on a local facebook selling group in the morning, chip, logs, free delivery to anyone who wants it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Some of us have spent many thousands of pound acquiring the vehicles and equipment to shift the timber we harvest.

Wood is energy, no different to coal, oil or gas. Farmers leave their cattle and crops out in the open, is it ok to help ourselves?

You know very well I'm talking about domestic tree jobs, not forestry..  you dick!!!!!.. 

• Confused 1

Poverty is a funny thing these days. People travel to food banks in their car with a £600 phone in their pocket.

It’s both hilarious and depressing as fuck. On the one hand, just £2 a month can keep a clueless twenty-three-year-old whose mother didn’t teach him how to cook in avocados for one day. On the other, the current systems of taxation, land ownership and regulation are going a long way to keeping people renting and slaving their entire lives. It’s all relative of course; we flush toilets with drinking water.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHPP said:

On the other, the current systems of taxation, land ownership and regulation are going a long way to keeping people renting and slaving their entire lives. It’s all relative of course; we flush toilets with drinking water.

It's the best way of keeping "us minions" down.

Why we are still using drinking water to flush toilets is beyond me.