Log Goblins

aspenarb

Great thread...

I remember a job in a posh part of Manchester (Didsbury), where we left a nice straight Beech stem, around 5 tons in weight, lying along-side a private driveway, about 30' from the entrance gateway.

Safe enough, I thought...

Sent a friend with his Wood-mizer to plank it up, only to be phoned up from site, and told it had somehow "vanished" into thin air !! ☹️ 

After a big article in the local papers at the time, and some subsequent local enquiries revealed that the culprits were none other than -just wait for it now-  Manchester city council !!!

The then manager of the Arb team was called Mr S. T. Leaf ( I'm not making it up, really!) refused to say anything about it...but settled costs in the small claims court, a few months later.

Never did find out the actual background, to why a council truck had craned a 5 ton stem out of a private property!

We were stacking big chunks of connie on the side of the road for 4 days solid and it was being taken away by a guy even older than me in an Astra van throughout the day, flippin tons of it.
Apparently he lived a few doors up, and was helping himself as fast as we put it out there, not that I was worried too much.
By the end of day 4 I strolled out and introduced myself to him, and said tomorrow we’ll be finished,if he would like to give my lads a drink then,that would be appreciated.
Needless to say there was a no show the nx day, so others got a look in and had a chance to take what was stacked that day.

6 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I have no issue with those who ask, if I say yes then they are lucky and get some free timber, but those who take without asking are thieves plain and simple.

If your on the job its fair enough but if you've left it lying around its fair game as far as I'm concerned..  anyways, its a chopped up tree who cares..

1 minute ago, Vespasian said:

If your on the job its fair enough but if you've left it lying around its fair game as far as I'm concerned..  anyways, its a chopped up tree who cares..

It has value .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It has value .

to some, to me its just waste that wants getting shut of..   not done a tree for a while but did one today, was glad of the fella who stopped his car and asked if he could have any of the wood.   take the bloody lot I said.. took him three trips back and forth but got shut of the logs soon enough...   good luck and good riddance as far as I can see..

10 hours ago, Vespasian said:

to some, to me its just waste that wants getting shut of..   not done a tree for a while but did one today, was glad of the fella who stopped his car and asked if he could have any of the wood.   take the bloody lot I said.. took him three trips back and forth but got shut of the logs soon enough...   good luck and good riddance as far as I can see..

Some of us have spent many thousands of pound acquiring the vehicles and equipment to shift the timber we harvest.

Wood is energy, no different to coal, oil or gas. Farmers leave their cattle and crops out in the open, is it ok to help ourselves?

• Like 8