103 members have voted

1. 1. axe or log splitter

• axe all the way
    • splitter for me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got both so use both. Axe when I have rings I have taken home to put in my shed to split later and hydraulic spliter when doing loads. The splitting axe I have is a Draper one and ive had it 15yrs and still on the original hickory handle :thumbup1:. Hydraulic spliter is a 12ton ktm machinery one made in Cornwall.

A bit of maul action in the woods is always good for the spirit but back in the shed on a rainy day it's a vertical splitter all the way. I've got a cheap Clarke one and it seems to bust anything. All at waist height so no picking up the split logs and can do up to 1m billets which is good for alder and stuff. I love it to be honest. Very quiet and powerful. I'm sure there are faster machines out there but I can get a days worth of split logs in 3 minutes so that's good for me.

Anyone tried a Fiskars X27? I've got a Stihl maul and hate the damn thing. Dread picking it up.

I've always just used what you guys call a "maul" (over here it's just a hatchet), more recently one with a fibreglass shaft. About a month ago it split so on the basis of the glowing reports on here I bought a new X27 and can happily report that it's all I thought it would be and probably even all I hoped it would be as well.

Been chopping firewood for over 40 years now and never split stuff as easily.

I am sixty one Stubby so you have a year's more wisdom!

I used to use grandfather's old axe and found it hard work, especially extracting it from a recalcitrant log. So I bought the Palax Combi which has worked well for nearly twenty years without fault.

Did not think you could teach an old log dog new tricks but having read the forum here I bought a Fiskar's X27 from the web at around £60

Irritatingly I see my local hardware store is now selling them for £49.

Also have mounted a large car tyre on a block at knee level. (Courtesy of YouTube video)

The explosive power of the X27 together with the ease of use of the tyre/block combo, and the ease of pulling an X27 out of a log has made the axe work both healthy and enjoyable.

I had some four foot lengths of straight ash too wide at fifteen inches for the Palax and the lad who was helping bet me that I could not split these logs.

I amazed even myself. It took about three blows but it did it and no way would grandfather's old axe have even looked at it!