103 members have voted

1. 1. axe or log splitter

• axe all the way
    • splitter for me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how much is being split. If it's just personal and as and when you need it, then axe. But if you're selling firewood, then you want the most split in the shortest time for the least overall cost. Sure you could get someone to hand split all your logs. But if you were paying them a fair wage, then I reckon what you'd save on mechanical processing, you'd lose on wages and the time needed to do the job.

Just bought a new Hycrack splitter. Don't even sell logs now ( to much hassle and use a lot a home / farm shop & tearoom ) my decision on the £1200 purchase inc vat was it will be a fair chunk of that secondhand any day of the week. Saw a genuine hycrack / hydrocut one which was 15 to 20 years old go for £ 600 !

It has saved my shoulders and back some real grief. Chainsawing, loading logs and any manual work is great but swinging axe splitting mostly hedge grown ash ( lots of knots and limbs, not long straight runs like forest grown) . I can do a lot more in one day.

On another note does anybody dare to hire a hycrack / screw type log splitter out ? Two neighbours having seen it would like to use it for a few days this winter !!! Wife said get a cheque or cash first as the likelihood of them ripping hands off was high. I love it and like and moving machinery as long as you've got head screwed ( no pun intended ) it'll be fine !!

Just bought a new Hycrack splitter. Don't even sell logs now ( to much hassle and use a lot a home / farm shop & tearoom ) my decision on the £1200 purchase inc vat was it will be a fair chunk of that secondhand any day of the week. Saw a genuine hycrack / hydrocut one which was 15 to 20 years old go for £ 600 !

It has saved my shoulders and back some real grief. Chainsawing, loading logs and any manual work is great but swinging axe splitting mostly hedge grown ash ( lots of knots and limbs, not long straight runs like forest grown) . I can do a lot more in one day.

On another note does anybody dare to hire a hycrack / screw type log splitter out ? Two neighbours having seen it would like to use it for a few days this winter !!! Wife said get a cheque or cash first as the likelihood of them ripping hands off was high. I love it and like and moving machinery as long as you've got head screwed ( no pun intended ) it'll be fine !!

Don't do it Tommy.

There is so much potential danger with them. We sold ours as I felt it was only a matter of time before it got me.

We farm here as well as me working as an agent for a liquid waste recycling company. Everything I / we do is bloody dangerous . Dagging lambs is potentially lethal, very sharp comb and cutter next to left arm / wrist all day. Got some killer scars on legs from machinery and cattle handling. I once heard on radio four statistically the most dangerous part of ANY job is travelling in a vehicle to get there !!!

I do however take your point on board. At work safety very important, all 150 guys out on sites are told no jewellery. Last week one gloved finger and another bloke fell in ditch and ripped earing out. Awaiting claims from employees who ignore rules is fun !!!

Maybe just keep here . Wouldn't want to see neighbours son losing fingers / arms !

Agreed that there many dangers we all face. The thing I found using the Hycrack is getting sucked into working in a less safe way. Yes this is my fault but I can resist being careless with chainsaws, processors tractors etc but the Hycrack just lulls me into a false sense of security.

Awkward unions the splitter, most of the pile then get one of my Fiskars X series!

The best, the best, log splitting mauls I've ever used. I use the X25 for big stuff,

X17 for the middling and , and the X7 for kindling. My log burning tree mates have ALL conveyed to this range, light, sharp as hell, and brilliant splitting wedge.

Commercial types clearly need to go with the machinery unless it is really small scale.

For me doing firewood for own use as well as some for friends, I prefer the axe as it keeps me fit and warm in the winter.

Another one for the fiskars X series. Most of my wood is smallish coppiced type stuff so the x17 does the bulk, including the big straight grained stuff.

The X27 comes out for the odd awkward lump - not been beaten by any gnarly bits yet.

I use a nice slim Swedish splitting axe made by Hultafors. We happen to sell them in the shop, but they are really good even at list price.

They go for a very thin tapering head that dives through the wood much better than the big fat wedges that a lot of UK versions seem to have. It's more of a precision splitter than a 'whack it very hard' kind of splitter.

Also mine weights 1.5kg rather than the 3 or 4 kg that maul axes seem to be, so much easier to use for long periods.