Advice on which bigger saw.

Bayhales

Hi all. I'm looking to to buy a either a 576xp 20"bar or 390xp 24" bar to go with my t540 (13inch) and 550 (15inch).

Until recently I've deal't with all job's that I have taken on with the two saws I have. But there have been a few that I would have been more confident using a bigger more powerful saw e.g 1. finish a back cut quickly 2.have the extra bar length there instead of matching up two 15" cuts on a 30" diameter tree 3.ringing up bigger stuff. The main one is to avoid putting an 18" bar on the 550 to take down a stump and have it going flat out which I'm not keen on (which I do).

The big saw will mainly be a ground saw but I anticipate taking it up the tree.

Have any of you guys used either saws up a tree and how do they handle? Would the 576xp be better choice being a tad lighter or does the 390xp pack more punch for its weight?

Hi all. I'm looking to to buy a either a 576xp 20"bar or 390xp 24" bar to go with my t540 (13inch) and 550 (15inch).

Until recently I've deal't with all job's that I have taken on with the two saws I have. But there have been a few that I would have been more confident using a bigger more powerful saw e.g 1. finish a back cut quickly 2.have the extra bar length there instead of matching up two 15" cuts on a 30" diameter tree 3.ringing up bigger stuff. The main one is to avoid putting an 18" bar on the 550 to take down a stump and have it going flat out which I'm not keen on (which I do).

The big saw will mainly be a ground saw but I anticipate taking it up the tree.

Have any of you guys used either saws up a tree and how do they handle? Would the 576xp be better choice being a tad lighter or does the 390xp pack more punch for its weight?

HI BAY get a 395xp im told good up to a 3ft bar thanks jon :thumbup:

Personally I would recon the 390 would be your best bet and would give you more opions with regard to bar length . Just my opinion . :001_smile:

This is it, sounds more versatile

Out of te two I would say the 390 . The 576 weighs almost as much but less power . Incidentally saws are meant to run " flat out " :001_smile:

I went to a dealer that has them in stock earlier and noticed that there was a great amount of difference in weight, but then this was with no fuel/oil in the tank. And the 390 felt better weighted ona a 24" than the 576 did on 24"

HI BAY thats not bad price was this on 576xp and a 390xp thanks not the 395 thanks jon :thumbup:

Hi Jon. That was the price for 390 and 576. Yeh I'm happy with that price. Hopefully he didn't get it wrong :001_smile:

I know I will get laughed at and told its bad, but I run a 30 inch bar on a husky 372xp. But- it's a lot lighter to take up the tree and use if you have a lot of chogging down to do, and if it's nice and sharp it's good for ringing too. But if you have the money, buy the biggest saw you can, 390xp

Cheers for the replys guys.

390xp, tweaked up it'll pull 36", and its 15cc larger!

Eddy, by tweaked you mean ported I guess?

Have never had a saw ported before, was thinking about getting the 550 done just incase it had to pull a 18" bar up a tree. Would this be a good idea ya recon?:confused1: