Avenue Species Change

David Humphries

Due to Phytopthora, (possible) Psuedomonas & Camararia, this avenue of Hundred year old Aesculus,

are in the process of having phased reductions and fells and are being replaced.QUOTE]

Just want to state for the record that these trees are not being replaced just because of the aesthetics of Cameraria infection.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plays a part though don'tcha think? The trees are there for their amenity value.

Cameraria, Phytophera / Psudomonas, Guignardia all detract from the visual amenity and therefore lessen the value of the tree (in economic terms).

Not a good reason to fell an avenue but if you're no longer getting a return on your investment, it probably tips the scales.

Lee, could you do rootwork on those trees in the avenue pic? You'ld have to take out slabs or is the small area around the base still viable for your machine?

Yes Tony I could quite easy carry out root work , the odd slab here and their would need taking up, but imo its got to be worth a try..

The options i'd reccomend are as follows and in that order..

1,Verticle mulch, using air-spade, taking up as many slabs as possible.

2, Bring in the deep root fert rig and give the trees a good balanced fert, probably using Total Tree, this would involve removing a few slabs here and their.

3, The cheapest option , remove slabs here and their, bring in the compressed air decompactor [not terravent] and simply decompact where possible.

My hunch is the council is using Phytophera as an excuse to fell the trees, in order to save on the arb budget in future years, I think this is going on right accross the country, if they truely wanted to save the trees the would explore all options available, well thats my opinion..

Saying all that they may well have already had a quote , for the above type work, from one or two of the lets say more profit minded companys, it may well be felling and reductions worked out cheaper

Whilst I do agree with you Lee, I think Tony has a good point to, if the tree are reaching their life expectancy in an urban area, then the budget would best be spent on felling and replacment, rather than other remedial work, from a council stand point??

In a park setting I think your approach is more suited to save specimen trees.

Just my opinion.

And about the reductions, I can understand reducing those that were near trees that have been removed, as they are now open to stress they haven't grown or adapted to, but it looks like all were reduced, which must of meant more cost, and being that they are stressed by leaf miner and bleeding canker reduction can't be a good thing.

The money would of been better spent trying out something like Lee suggested.

Again just thinking out loud.

And about the reductions, I can understand reducing those that were near trees that have been removed, as they are now open to stress they haven't grown or adapted to, but it looks like all were reduced, which must of meant more cost, and being that they are stressed by leaf miner and bleeding canker reduction can't be a good thing.

The money would of been better spent trying out something like Lee suggested.

Again just thinking out loud.

Just for the record, i think that the reduced trees are being left not just because they are the healthier ones, but also to reduce the dramatic impact of the whole Avenue being felled at once.

• 2 weeks later...

The options i'd reccomend are as follows and in that order..

1,Verticle mulch, using air-spade, taking up as many slabs as possible.

2, Bring in the deep root fert rig and give the trees a good balanced fert, probably using Total Tree, this would involve removing a few slabs here and their.

Hi Roller,

I can see the benefits of decompacting and applying a good root fert. In a old stressed tree but what about the Phytophera or Pseudomonas, it wouldn't solve this, alghouth possibly the tree would have a bigger chance to hold on to life for a little longer than with the current strategie adpoted by most Local Authorities. Theres little logic in reducing a old tree being attacked by a disease, a already energy depletead tree having to cope with a reduction at the same time fighting for its life with an infection. I know these trees, I want to see how its going to pan out.

What I ment to ask you is - do you do this kind of treatment for many Local Authorities? Or its mainly private clients that see the benefit of this work? And while Im at it, how expensive is it to hire your services lets say for 3 of those chestnuts in the pic?

Jack-arb

Hi Roller,

I can see the benefits of decompacting and applying a good root fert. In a old stressed tree but what about the Phytophera or Pseudomonas, it wouldn't solve this, alghouth possibly the tree would have a bigger chance to hold on to life for a little longer than with the current strategie adpoted by most Local Authorities. Theres little logic in reducing a old tree being attacked by a disease, a already energy depletead tree having to cope with a reduction at the same time fighting for its life with an infection. I know these trees, I want to see how its going to pan out.

What I ment to ask you is - do you do this kind of treatment for many Local Authorities? Or its mainly private clients that see the benefit of this work? And while Im at it, how expensive is it to hire your services lets say for 3 of those chestnuts in the pic?

Jack-arb

We carry out this type of work for anyone and everyone, we've worked for little old ladys through to the National Trust, as for prices , lets put it this way its not that painfull, for exact pricing i'd have to pm you.

Now about the above work, i'm not going to sit here and say my fert and decompaction will be a cure all, IMO if the trees had a fert and decompaction program a few years back, they MIGHT not be in the condition they are in now,i'm all for prevention rather than cure!

What i'm suggesting is ,give the trees a chance before bringing in the chainsaws, ''a 100 year old tree takes 100 years to grow'' I personally think if the trees had a fert treatment , we'd see a dramatic improvement.

Tony I re-read your post/question, no mate the area at the bottom of the trees aren't sufficent, for fert

Couple of weeks ago a large Aesculus fell over a main road - bit unpredictable as the trees have only just started to show signs of problems this year.

A week later 6 more mature trees have all been felled ...I guess it is the unpredictablility that is scaring authorities into action.

No doubt some magnificent Rowans will replace these mature beauties.

Most city dwellers don't really like trees but they do subconciously find comfort in seeing greeness around them - they just don't care about the detail.