Horse Arches/Forwarders

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

If you want a lightweight and durable forwarder without a crane I have heard nothing but good things from Osterby Smedja in Sweden:

Österby Smedja

They have started selling to the UK market and I know 2 people who have one on order.

There is a second hand forwarder available on the BHL website at the moment which seems good value, and they are offering to deliver too:

BHL British Horse Loggers, Woodland Management.

I don't know of anyone manufacturing them in the UK now, sadly Doug Joiner of Heavyhorses.net died last month and he was the only UK manufacturer as far as I know.

In terms of Swedish style logging arches, it's generally accepted that the Ulvins arch from Norway is still the best, as is usually available through Maggie Braunton in North Wales (01492 580291) but they expensive for what they are I think, but then there isn't much competition so they can get away with it! They do make a small forwarder (Kombi-Drag) although it is very small. I don't know of anyone else making arches at the moment, there does seem to be a bit of a gap in the market!

I get quite a bit of my kit made-up to my own design now, I just find that is easier as there are always changes that I would make to others designs to make it suitable for how I use it, and also how I transport things.

My forwarder looks like this, designed for a single horse to be as narrow as possible to allow us to get into small spaces. Movable axle to be able to take various lengths of timber from 1.5m to 5m, and up to 2m3. It breaks down small enough to go into one side of a horse trailer so I can transport Horse and Forwarder in one go.

166896d1413134085-show-us-your-logging-horses-logging-course-oct-2014-4.jpg

Photo is of a student driving, he was moving the reins from one side to the other which looks a bit odd but is a good view of the forwarder! I love it and it does exactly what I want for the way I work, but it may not suit others. Would certainly be worth considering getting your own made if you know what features you want.

Edited by hawthornheavyhorses

Thanks. We had a 3 Ratchet Ulvins arch. The wheels are too small in UK conditions could have done with trail bike size wheel. Is that forwarder with a floating beam axle designed to be pulled with an ATV? The Swedish firm on the links looks good but £8000 is ..............

Think some ATV tyres and stub axles with a seat might be idea.