Throwing money at old saws

deezyboy

I would say that the saw probably has leaking crank shaft seals that took out the original piston and gas now fried the second.

Sawtroll has it when he said a good technique would investigate the reason for failure when fitting new parts. He would also set up the machine correctly to ensure it doesn't happen again.

A busted ring is a different matter and is usually a sign of Chinese parts:thumbdown:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Paul, definitely worth a try, I'm all too good at accidentaly saying te wrong thing and offending people!

He hasn't said specifically, but he believes that all saws should be run on 30:1 to give it that extra but if help, and has said in the past he believes my saw would still be running in the firs place had I been running it on more than a 50:1 ratio. He mentioned repairing it and running it on 15:1 if I wanted to use the 28 inch bar in oak etc, not entirely sure though!

Cheers

Cheers Paul, definitely worth a try, I'm all too good at accidentaly saying te wrong thing and offending people!

He hasn't said specifically, but he believes that all saws should be run on 30:1 to give it that extra but if help, and has said in the past he believes my saw would still be running in the firs place had I been running it on more than a 50:1 ratio. He mentioned repairing it and running it on 15:1 if I wanted to use the 28 inch bar in oak etc, not entirely sure though!

Cheers

That statement would worry me a bit :confused1:

That statement would worry me a bit :confused1:

It would worry me a lot!

Run it on 15:1 and you will kill it, either because it's running lean (yes, really, too little fuel in the fuel:air mix if you take it all out and put oil there instead), or because it will blow the plug out (fill the top end with oil and you decrease the space for compression, so the compression ratio goes up). If by some chance it doesn't, it will kill you instead with the smoke!

I would say however that if you don't use it that often it's worth swapping over to Aspen once it's rebuilt again.

I would also suggest that this sort of saw just isn't his thing, and ask someone else to take a look.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Cheers

Mmm that's mental lol

Recently I have got into refurbing old saws, so far I have got the CS8000 back up and running complete with a new 24" bar and chain combo, with a 242xp and an old pro mac 55 on the bench in pieces ready for sorting out.

BUT

For every day usage, work, earning me money. I use new saws with reliability and parts back up I know I can trust in.

I have no idea what im gonna do with the older saws but its a real pleasure to play in the work shop with them :thumbup: #greasemonkey

Nobody here has talked about correct engine rpm, blocked fuel filter, what sort of max revs did he set it too, does he have a taco? part blocked fuel filter will lean out the mixture, part block internal filter in the carb will lean out the mixture, good oil and a 50-1 oil mix is perfectly ok for the machine, have run 181,281 and 288 on 50-1 mix on test bench for many hours with no problems.

Hey Kentjames I am with you on that one when I work I want my equipment to do the same without fuss!:thumbup:

Recently I have got into refurbing old saws, so far I have got the CS8000 back up and running complete with a new 24" bar and chain combo, with a 242xp and an old pro mac 55 on the bench in pieces ready for sorting out.

BUT

For every day usage, work, earning me money. I use new saws with reliability and parts back up I know I can trust in.

I have no idea what im gonna do with the older saws but its a real pleasure to play in the work shop with them :thumbup: #greasemonkey

Nobody here has talked about correct engine rpm, blocked fuel filter, what sort of max revs did he set it too, does he have a taco? part blocked fuel filter will lean out the mixture, part block internal filter in the carb will lean out the mixture, good oil and a 50-1 oil mix is perfectly ok for the machine, have run 181,281 and 288 on 50-1 mix on test bench for many hours with no problems.

That's because I am on my phone and predictive text is a PITA:lol:

Many things can cause this type of issue and a good tech will investigate them:thumbup: