Milling capacity- Stihl MS660 v MS880

Bogoak

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, agreed.

I actually think that if logs were well set out that a team of three (two on mill, with third in rotation for milling, setting up rails for first cuts and helping with lifting), you'd cut at the same rate with a chainsaw mill as a team of three on a band mill down to about 1.5". You'd obviously have masses more sawdust and wrecked wrists, but a double ended set up is rapid. We did 450 hoppus foot of sequoia in under two days, and 196 hoppus foot of sweet chestnut in 5 hours once (that was all at 2").

You wouldn't have the wrecked wrists if you fitted a winch :D:D

Edit. Rob beat me to it

The winch is unbelievable though Jon - it means no more aching wrists and elbows - it has totally re vitalised my milling to the point if I could not use it - I would not use a chainsaw mill!

:001_smile:

HI ROB can see the nice lady on your pics it better then one you have up now mate :thumbup1:thanks jon :thumbup:

The winch is unbelievable though Jon - it means no more aching wrists and elbows - it has totally re vitalised my milling to the point if I could not use it - I would not use a chainsaw mill!

I think that the amount I take the rakers down (I use an angle grinder - it takes too long with a file), it would snag and stall too much if I didn't hold onto it! :laugh1:

I think that the amount I take the rakers down (I use an angle grinder - it takes too long with a file), it would snag and stall too much if I didn't hold onto it! :laugh1:

Ha ha! :biggrin:

Ref the lady she could be making a come back soon - in fact may do some sort of poll or similar and then it will be down to the vote it being a democracy an all :biggrin:

Had my first on MS660 with one of the new 42" GB lo pro bars - new oregon 91R chain - revs stayed up but cutting was slow. Gave smooth results but I'm going to tweak the rakers down and see what that does.

I started off with a 660 and 36" bar but that was to slow and knackering, then moved to an 880, the solid nose stihl supplied is no good for milling so bought a 42' sugi from Rob, nice bit of kit.

I've just had to buy a new 880 as the old one blew the spark plug out and although it can be repaired I needed a saw straight away. Once the old one is repaired my next investment will be a double ended bar off Rob using both 880's.

I keep the 660's with 26" bars for small logs or cutting up, that size bar makes a well balanced saw.