Ground protection mats

Tom at Heartwood

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday & today been dismantling cypress trees adjacent to a croquet lawn. To give an indication of the "mindset" of the customer, I should have done the job last Summer but he didn't want to disturb his onions! Gave the option: remove knackered fence, replace with new at cost + time, fell over veg patch - disadvantage, either lift early or sacrifice £40 worth of onions. Alternative, climb & dismantle with related additional time / equipment / complexity issues. Guess what, saving this years veg patch cost £100's extra on the job. 2 weeks before we'd arranged the dismantling, he'd had the turf lifted & ground levelled then turf relaid on croquet lawn (rather badly in reality), so with no time to 'take', you only had to walk on the turf to cause it to skid. How do people really think they can keep putting off the tree work year after year until it's ridiculously out of control, then expect large take downs with no collateral damage??? Grrrr, rant over!

Yesterday & today been dismantling cypress trees adjacent to a croquet lawn. To give an indication of the "mindset" of the customer, I should have done the job last Summer but he didn't want to disturb his onions! Gave the option: remove knackered fence, replace with new at cost + time, fell over veg patch - disadvantage, either lift early or sacrifice £40 worth of onions. Alternative, climb & dismantle with related additional time / equipment / complexity issues. Guess what, saving this years veg patch cost £100's extra on the job. 2 weeks before we'd arranged the dismantling, he'd had the turf lifted & ground levelled then turf relaid on croquet lawn (rather badly in reality), so with no time to 'take', you only had to walk on the turf to cause it to skid. How do people really think they can keep putting off the tree work year after year until it's ridiculously out of control, then expect large take downs with no collateral damage??? Grrrr, rant over!

Sounds like one of my clients.. not allowed to take a tracked chipper on the croquet lawn, then when her daughter got married she was going to let the marquee firm drive a JCB over it you only had to look at the field to see the damage it would have done.

For lighter machines and repetitive foot passage over a few days or after very wet weather I put down some of the thinnest pig board think it's either 4 or 5mm and works perfectly even carries a 50hp predator grinder without a mark.

Thinking of getting some thicker 8x4sheets and cutting them down to 8x2 for driving the landy cherrypicker over grass this winter.

Sounds like one of my clients.. not allowed to take a tracked chipper on the croquet lawn, then when her daughter got married she was going to let the marquee firm drive a JCB over it you only had to look at the field to see the damage it would have done.

Typical!

I'd say it speaks volumes about where, in the grand scheme of things, people place tree work. I know in some cases it can potentially lose me the job, but if there are too many constraints I'll just walk away, you know the customer is going to expect more than is realistically achievable - you'll have to work miracles in a space barely big enough to spin round in, remove the tons of wood that should have been dealt with years ago, don't make any noise or mess and leave it looking like you'd never even been there!

Bhaaaaaah! Bad tempered with a bad back!

This exact subject came up on the Construction Equipment Forum, and the guys there went for some cow mats working out at approx £30 each.

From the look of it they were pretty flexible, easy to handle and hard wearing.

The main consensus was they would last and last unlike the more traditional plywood route.

There were some images of a 3 tonne Excavator working on a lawn and they seem to be working well?

I can try and to find out exactly which supplier they were using if anyone is interested.

Eddie.

mat1.jpg.723d47f550438a930d8539a3c67d6b9e.jpg

mat.jpg.149eb33a14e169d0527231f07bbcb64b.jpg