Beech reduction

Joseph W

[ATTACH]183667[/ATTACH] I think I have attached an image...sorry about the delay! Have had no success in finding out how I can get a soil sample tested for poison-any ideas?

its not the soil you want sampling really as most weedkillers available to the public tend to be based around glyphosate witch becomes inert once in contact with the soil

whilst there will be tests that could find traces of weedkiller in plants/soil there isnt a company or organisation that offers it

Sorry, just realised there's more to this thread than your last post! Does look like a beech, suckers are more likely seedlings, so any poisoning to them is unlikely to have any significant impact on the tree. So the 50% sudden leaf drop remains a mystery...

It maybe possible that seedling roots have fused to the larger beech and the poison has made its way into the larger beech. I have seen this happen in sycamore where we had to fell and treat stumps with glyphosulphate in a woodland. The poison killed off the intended stumps but ended up killing around dozen more neighbouring sycamores. We had to go back and fell them.