A Englishman in New Zealand

ecotreecare

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eww my worst job, pruned one the other day... Being super careful still got stabbed twice. I did chip the fronds, but I don't normally, they were 95% dead, and I cleaned the chipper when I got home! We also removed a Wellingtonia palm in the morning, had to rig it down, man it was heavy! Didn't chip any of that but cleaned the saws down too. When I first started climbing I did a palm with my banger old saw, didn't clean it and my the chain went very rusty!

I've heard of guys felling big palms, then stump grind them on the deck, then scoop up the arisings with a loader! Great idea

Eww my worst job, pruned one the other day... Being super careful still got stabbed twice. I did chip the fronds, but I don't normally, they were 95% dead, and I cleaned the chipper when I got home! We also removed a Wellingtonia palm in the morning, had to rig it down, man it was heavy! Didn't chip any of that but cleaned the saws down too. When I first started climbing I did a palm with my banger old saw, didn't clean it and my the chain went very rusty!

I've heard of guys felling big palms, then stump grind them on the deck, then scoop up the arisings with a loader! Great idea

Do you find the area that gets stabbed swells up and is sore for a few days? One went through my boot into my foot, still sore three days later!

Last time it happened I ended up in hospital!

Do you find the area that gets stabbed swells up and is sore for a few days? One went through my boot into my foot, still sore three days later!

Last time it happened I ended up in hospital!

No I've never had an infection from a pheonix but know plenty that have, it can be from the bacteria on the spike, or even the tip of the spike breaking off under your skin. Gotta be especially careful around joints like knuckles, elbows and knees as infections there can be painful!

chips fine in our hansas, and the mulch from it grows tiger worms in numbers you dont see anywhere else. The ONLY good thing about the whole damn plant

My Hansa chips them too but I'd hate to see what it would do to the roller/knives/disk/bearings etc, if you did a decent amount and didn't clean it?!

Out of interest, what Hansa do you run and how do you find it?

chips fine in our hansas, and the mulch from it grows tiger worms in numbers you dont see anywhere else. The ONLY good thing about the whole damn plant

We chipped them where I used to work in Christchurch. However I don't want to do that with our 2yr old chipper!

[quote name=Fredward;1185541

My Hansa chips them too but I'd hate to see what it would do to the roller/knives/disk/bearings etc' date=' if you did a decent amount and didn't clean it?!

Out of interest, what Hansa do you run and how do you find it?[/quote]

We clean saws after doing pheonix but have never cleaned the chippers and seen no trouble. I think it reacts with thin alloys, not steel. And we have done plenty of them over the years

we have a 18 year old hansa 6 inch (which has done a ridiculous amount of work over the years, its on its second kohler motor), a diesel 6x12 that im guessing is 8 years old and a 30hp petrol 6x12 thats 6 years old. They have never been shed stored.

They have all been great chippers. Very reliable, easy to run and keep, and the hansa company has the best customer service I have ever had with any product.

We have done main bearings on them over the years which is pretty easy job to do, drive belts, but aside from a couple welds, and the odd engine thing (starter motor, ignition etc), they have run without trouble.