Shell V power/BP Ultimate

mowandgo

Have any of you run your machines on so called super unleaded? I have and noticed a slight increase in performance, starting, smother rev delivery. Also I have heard its cleaner and better for your engine and also you don't consume as much fuel as is more efficient.

I belive all the above to be true but the increases are slight!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We run our gear on it every other fuel run. Once a month we put it through our diesel powered machinery and it does make a difference. Everything starts easier and runs alot smoother. Even the 4 mix dare i say it runs like a dream. We also put half a tank of the V power diesel through the trucks every few months to clean the injectors and filters a little bit.

I always run my van on premium shes done 186000 I feel much more response low down in the revs and it starts better I would not say there's any difference in power high up the revs. The MPG gauge tells me 31 mpg on cheap supermarket fuel and as much as 38 mpg on a good run on premium. Its a computer what reads mpg so I cant be sure on its accrual. I should at some point brim tank and measure miles.

I used to run my caterham seven supersport on 97 octane and there was a significant difference in performance. On longer journeys I would use half 95 half 97 and the same performance was noted.

It worked out cheaper too!

However on track days I would only run 97, just to be sure I was getting optimal performance.

Can't afford to run expensive stuff in saws though!!!!

It is a common misconception that higher octane fuels will produce more power.

What actually happens is that because of their higher resistance to detonation (knocking) they enable a high compression engine to develop its full potential as lower octanes detonate too early. Great, and essential, in a performance motor.

But our Pro saws are not that high in compression and only require a minimum of 90octane. Standard unleaded is 95 (ron) and is plenty high enough.

The use of 97 octane will actually reduce power in a lower compression motor as the detonation is delayed too much for peak performance.

Don't waste your money on the expensive petrol, there is simply no advantage.

Ok but which fuel has less ethanol in it?

If you manage to find out then please tell me!

The petrol companies are very secretive about the ethanol content of their fuels and it varies from area to area.

A few years ago a study was released which stated that most premium unleaded contained ethanol at 5% but super unleaded did not. Except in the North and in the west Country, where for some reason it did.

I think its safe to say its in most fuel today, at levels up to 10%