Pholiota squarrosa?

stevelucocq

There isn't a huge amount of info out there, I believe it is supposed to be fairly beneign but I have seen many mature Ash with heavy fruiting of the species. One or two patches coming directly out of a buttress had a fist sized decay pocket underneath it.

• 1 year later...

Pholiota squarosa is a root decay and cavity former, an action not unlike armillaria, a vital tree lives with P.squarosa for many many years, and i know many an aged ash pollard has been hollowed at the root crown by this fungi, which is common on ash and also beech, as well as other broadleaf.

It is a big problem on acacias apparently, though as with so many fungi, were learning that certain regions see different strategies and influences by the same decay fungi.

manual of wood decay has this to say

White rot to stem base rarely upper regions, annual fruit bodies, modification of wood first brittle, then soft. Consequence initialy brittle fracture, or ductile fracture in later stage of degradation.

This fits in with my esperiences of it, a failure that is often termed devils ear fracture is the end result in failure cases. this i believe is due as I said to it being a cavity former, and the resulting T/R ratios being the downfall.

if you drill test the tree, do it downward at an angle from base

Without any other signs of Armillaria, I would say that the profusion of fruiting around the base of this ash was directly linked to the squarrosa.

Senior moment......the above statement was meant to end with "trees decline" not "Squarrosa"

if you drill test the tree, do it downward at an angle from base

If you're talking specifically about this Tree Tony, then the Ash is right in the woods,

and not of significant risk, so will not be felled.

Although a test with the digi probe may be interesting.

If I get the chance to do that, I'll post back on it.

Edited by Monkey-D