How long do you keep trying with a trainee

knightstreeservices

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work at knights tree services as a climber/team leader & as he said he is a fair boss. Personally I wouldn't of had the patience with the lad. 18 months into the job and he still can't be left to finish off a stump, never mind fell or dismantle a tree. I can honestly say, as I've seen it with my own eyes he has had lots of mentoring and time spent with him to help him along. Kev has even took him out on weekends to help him with his weaknesses. The lad is a lovely person but is not work motivated in the slightest, let's just say his interests lay elsewhere.

He is not on the forum as is not interested in the industry. For him it is a job, which is fine but I feel if you want to do well in this industry you have got to have that spark and love for it like so many of us do.

I think the reason the post was put up is that kev is a nice guy & I think he was hoping someone might say something along the lines of "I had a lad that was like that but 2 years down the line he is an absolute asset to me".

He really does do all he can and I know letting the lad go is the last thing he wants to do, but unfortunately he is running a business and this lad is costing money to have on site.

Before anyone says anything no I'm not after a pay rise lol.

Why not sit the lad down without kev and ask him what's up?? Maybe he just needs to know your on his side and want to help him......Other than that I've heard jeremy kyle is quiet at the min.....:biggrin:

I work at knights tree services as a climber/team leader & as he said he is a fair boss. Personally I wouldn't of had the patience with the lad. 18 months into the job and he still can't be left to finish off a stump, never mind fell or dismantle a tree. I can honestly say, as I've seen it with my own eyes he has had lots of mentoring and time spent with him to help him along. Kev has even took him out on weekends to help him with his weaknesses. The lad is a lovely person but is not work motivated in the slightest, let's just say his interests lay elsewhere.

He is not on the forum as is not interested in the industry. For him it is a job, which is fine but I feel if you want to do well in this industry you have got to have that spark and love for it like so many of us do.

I think the reason the post was put up is that kev is a nice guy & I think he was hoping someone might say something along the lines of "I had a lad that was like that but 2 years down the line he is an absolute asset to me".

He really does do all he can and I know letting the lad go is the last thing he wants to do, but unfortunately he is running a business and this lad is costing money to have on site.

Sounds like your view of "not interested is vastly different to the ops " keen as mustard" I think the lad needs to be given a firm ultimatum if your view is nearer the truth or ask him if he really wants to work in the industry. The lad I was refering to wanted to continue in the same work and while not indespensible I would rate him as very usefull now.

I reckon the OP has been fair putting this up. I have worked with alot of different people over the years and 1 in 20 or more are actually any good. You really need automatic team players always ready to roll, there to back you up with support and vice versa.

However I always live in high hopes they are going to bloom soon but rarely they do. Sad fact of life. Probably gather the lad and his family together if they where involved in the beginning. Explain you like the lad. But the future isn't there.

Hopefully all parties will keep respect for each other and move on.

I have had a lot of experience working with mentally less able people for about 20 years. They always sent them to agricultural colleges it seemed to be distributed where they could amongst hazards and machinery. Whereas when do you see them in construction or other industries?

Sorry for derail, just how i have found it.

Employment law actually deals with having to terminate employment in quite a fair way; essentially staff have to be given warnings and the opportunity to improve based on clearly identifying the issues and agreeing how they should be dealt with, and when, etc.

I know a lot of employers find it burdensome, but it can actually work well for both parties BUT more importantly, it needs to be done properly if the OP isn't to lay themselves open to legal liability if he does decide to end this individuals employment.

Check these out; (sorry if this is already known to the OP!)

https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/overview

Unfair Dismissal: Capability

If you've done all you can and it's still not working out, it's probably best for both parties if the employee concerned goes. He'd probably be a lot happier doing a job he was suited to.

I think it has to be said that this is a particularly hazzard-filled industry with a lot of big, bad consequences if things go wrong; persons undertaking a carreer in Arb need to be capable of working safely, unsupervised, as part of a team. Nobody expects newbees to be perfect from day one, but you've clearly put the effort in and seen little improvement. It's not just the employee concerned potentially at risk, but his colleagues and the general public.

If he can't be left to finish off a stump on his own...

All things considered, he sounds perfect for a council job :biggrin:

No joke, i saw a team of them the other day, one in cherrypicker cutting and 4, yes 4, lads on the chipper. Its was only a wee plane reducing. Aaah, german efficiency....

Get the lad a council job, or plainly ask him "do you actually want to do this job?". Even better, get your team leader or another employe to ask, its stupid i know, but i hear alot of things from the lads that they would never say to the boss.

And before anyone asks, I aint a grass:001_rolleyes: :biggrin:

I have been there recently, young lad that is doing a forestry and arb course, 1 year in and no practical experience, no idea on working in the real world. When I was an apprentice mechanic in the 80s if the boss had asked me to work 23 hours a day then I would of as I loved the job. Nowadays it's different, the young uns want everything handed to them on a plate. I'd get rid and find someone who actually wants to learn or don't have a youngster and just use reliable mature people with own kit and who give a monkeys. They may cost more but will save on the agro.

I would ask a kind moderator to remove this thread, then sit him down, give him some areas for improvement and point him this way, see if he can learn from us sad lot who have nothing better to do than discuss which saws best in the evenings. If he doesn't show some initiative, then next week I'd tell him to look up doors.co.uk - This domain name is available to lease or buy now.