PTO chipper ramble!

njc110381

Hi guys. Brace yourselves... I've been typing this out for a while!:001_rolleyes:

Since my last post on a similar note I've been looking at the wide range of machines available and noted the huge difference in weight between them. It seems that a 6" machine can vary from 400kg (excluding the cheap Chinese rubbish) to over a ton. I want to keep things on the light side to allow a better chip payload on the rear axle. I also need it to be as small as possible - my whole storage facility is just a touch bigger than a double garage!

Having spoken to a couple of lads who really know their Unimogs, it's been suggested to me that the ideal chipper size for a little round cab mog like mine is around the 6-8" mark. Any bigger is asking a lot of the transmission, which I don't really want or need to do.

I like to roll these things around in my head over and over before I make a decision. Something that may be a bit irritating at times?! But it's a lot of money for me and I don't want to buy the wrong machine. I think I'll have to up my budget a little to get what I need but it's better that than to buy junk. So far I've looked at these...

The Schliesing 200 is 800kg apparently. So that's out. And they hold their money well - no doubt for good reason but I probably couldn't afford one so haven't even bothered researching it too much!

Tw150 is 400kg and 1775mm long when folded. It's relatively cheap, but I've heard some bashing of the make recently. I assume not due to anything serious? Feed opening is tight at 6x6", which puts me off a bit.

Jensen A530 is 540kg and 1850mm long. I've not seen many of these about but the specs look good. One to consider? The feed opening is 6x8" instead of the 6" square of the TW. For brashy stuff could this be a big advantage?

Greenmech EC150TMP is 490kg. It also folds down to 1060mm for transport and storage which is a massive factor for me. Negative is like the TW - 6x6" feed opening. The local Greenmech sales guy was very good at the arb show. He spent ages talking to me and lives just up the road. That puts them in a good position for me, if the machine is good? This one is the favourite contender.

TP150 is 515kg, but over 2m long. Big negative there unfortunately as they seem to be one of the best for my needs besides that! Feed opening is 6x8", so good. And the name speaks for itself. I haven't heard much negativity about them.

Junkkari 170 is 550kg, 1600mm long. It has one feed roller rather than two - should I just bin that option?!

How do you chaps rate the above machines? And do you have any additions I've overlooked? I'm about at a point where I can afford to buy a second hand machine so my thoughts have been pretty stuck on this subject since I decided to run my van until the wheels fall off. Better to invest in kit that will earn me more than waste it on a newer version of something I already have just because it's got tidy paintwork!

Better to invest in kit that will earn me more than waste it on a newer version of something I already have just because it's got tidy paintwork!

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Also, can't imagine one feed roller will be any use whatsoever. Most of the Chinese junkers only have one.

I've occasionally use the A530 on a mog and if you can get it in the rollers it'll eat it up. Not sure about maintenance in the pto version but my old firm had a A530 tracked and the maintance was pretty easy on that machine ie blade changes and greasing points

I thought the single feed roller thing was a bit silly. It certainly isn't going to help matters!

It's good to hear of an A530 being used on a mog. It looks like a nice machine. One thing I have just noticed is that the Greenmech mounts with the hopper to one side. Ideal on some jobs but bound to be a pain on others. That would also explain the length of it... I'm now off to look up the width!:001_rolleyes:

Edit... It's 1745mm - so the same bloody size as the rest of them! Thought it was too good to be true!

I run a tp760 on my u900 and its a bit heavy in all honesty. Done a few ram seals with it bouncing about the place. Im actually going for a front mount tw150 as they have a reverser box already on them. So you dont need to give vos £750+vat for a reverser box and you can also pull a trailer at the same time.

I didn't know you could get the TW made to fit on the front. As I'm looking at used machines I also doubt it's something I will find easily unfortunately.

Does your linkage not have that little ball in the system? I think it's called an accumulator? Kind of a shock absorber for the hydraulics.

You know what, I've been looking at a little pto gravity feed TW at an estate where I shoot. I wondered how they made it work on a clockwise pto when the blades turn the same way as on my Trukloder. The engine on that doesn't run clockwise so I figured it must be something like that, but I didn't know it could be removed.

Is it a simple enough job to be able to use it on both ends with a small amount of workshop time? That really would be good.