Sleeper bridge

JimE

• 1 month later...

I did some work at potteric carr in doncaster when I was on the dole. Durin the slave labour days there, some heavy plastic piping was brought in, it was rolled into the stream that was to be bridged and weighed down some. Then simply chocked up the sides to form the path with board and stakes and filled it in and over the pipe with gravel and hardcore and tamped that down. Simple but it worked well. I should point out the sand was dropped off the side of a railway tipper bogey from the bridge overhead, many many tons of it. You would need either a skilled tractor trailer driver and reverse it to it or a dumper etc. Thats if it would work for you.

• 1 year later...
Heres one I refurbed earlier in the year. What you need is two concrete plinths either end and some good, big rsj's, this one had 5 set in the concrete. I ripped off the old ones with the tractor and laid the new ones as we went so we could drive across to keep dropping sleepers. They are bolted up from underneath and there are two long angle irons either side with holes to bolt each sleeper with 12mm coach screws. I then did a maize of 3.15mm wire all round it and stapled down to help hold all together. There are 50 sleepers on this bridge, they were grade 1 hardwood from mcveighs, paid £16.80 each + vat and they are good ones. Quite a nice little job really, I reckon this would take 10t easy
Cheers for the superb photos!! We shall be using them as the basis for a bridge we're going to build this week. We hope it will be a cross between yours and this one: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213590&stc=1&d=1478552239

:)

59767218e82f9_Railwaysleeperbridge.jpg.84e3192dc11f2b1267e2e4e63881d462.jpg

Edited by ccharlie

Excellent job only " mod's I would make i'd 1,double up the centre longitudinal , bolted together to spread the joint load & as said in another post lay wire netting (1/2" chicken wire is ideal) on where the wheels run to stop slippage in wet weather as the " green' from vegetation can cause problems.