Climbing devices

samthornton1990

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't disagree more. Some of us have the misfortune of working in trees since way before such easy devices existed. We had to put up with the old school because that's all there was. I don't see why you should get away without the pain we had to put up with. It builds character you know.

You new boys should have a mandatory 8 years on three strand and a three knot system ( you may progress to a prussik loop after 2 years). You can move on to advanced kit after 8 years or 5 if you have a doctors note (a letter from your mum won't cover it)

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Hahahhaha, if only there was such thing a Tree Surgery School :001_tt2:

Lockjack is the most versatile tool, it is the only one that attaches mid-line but takes a bit more mastering, it does not self tend so well as sj & ZZ.

ZZ & SJ are very similar, ZZ is less finikity but some people worry about it 'breaking' i do not so in summary LJ if you've got the ability and patience to master it, ZZ if not, or if you're worried about it breaking go SJ WITH the dyneema quick link obv'

Hmmm given me something to thing about, my boss uses a ZZ and isn't worried about it breaking and I found it pretty foolproof.

Hmm decisions,

cheers for the input guys

Edited by samthornton1990

Don't rule out a hitchclimber, probably the most versatile tool, and chuck in a rope wrench and you can use it for single line work positioning or with a haas type system for efficient ascent.

I've used and owned a Zig Zag couldn't wait to hand it back, also climbed with a SJ and Lockjack, and for me the hitchclimber is much more versatile with a host of positioning tricks that other devices cannot do. Check out the Hitch Climbers guide to the canopy on Youtube.

It also doesn't really matter what you use, it's how you use it, making you the climber the most important part and not the device. I know climbers more efficient and with greater ability than me on a simple Prussik.

If you have a dodgy back be wary of using a pantin with a ZZ SJ or HC to ascend on doubled rope to much using one leg as it's not very balanced technique unless you regularly switch between a left and right pantin.

I'm intrigued by all this, I've been climbing on a rope and prussick loop for years. Are you guys saying there's an easier way?!

yes, look in the employment section, theres usually climbers looking for work! :001_tongue:

i would look at a VT system first, fraction of the price and is a similar climbing style so you can see if you get on with it first before shelling out big cash.

If you have an iffy back an occasional visit to a decent sports physiotherapist (if you haven't already done so) would probably be far more beneficial than a fancy bit of kit. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's probably true... sitting in a harness all day, regardless of your system, causes the muscles of your lower back to waste away, exercise help that. If you do them...

A spiderjack will take you a week tops to get to grips with, it's pretty intuitive, great fun and works brilliantly. I got mine really soon after starting out and know several others who did the same. I know one climber who's never even climbed on a knot, seriously isn't anything to it.

Can't comment on the zz as I've only ever seen other people's broken ones...

That hitchclimber looks like it'd be quite effective! Used a Lockjack Sport today for a good few hours, found it ok to use.

In regards to my back problem I am starting to think that it maybe from not having a well fitting harness when I did my CS38, used one that fitted well today and I haven't got any pain at all.

Cheers for all the responses, opened my eyes up to other devices available

Great thread, I am considering upgrading my prussik to something modern and mechanical. Trouble is I am a simple man and a creature of habit....... But all that shiny stuff I could use instead and go home on Friday with enough energy to go to the pub...... Right Jonsie here I come post me shiny stuff.