Climbing devices

samthornton1990

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try both and pick the one you like best, I prefer the SJ and as others have said it scores over the ZZ because it wont break.

But....splitting hairs over which device isn't what working in trees is about. You should be able to work with whatever you have to hand be it a friction device a three knot system or hover boots.

If you want to save your back the best thing is a mewp

Haha I enjoy climbing, mewp would be a tad on the expensive side.

But....splitting hairs over which device isn't what working in trees is about. You should be able to work with whatever you have to hand be it a friction device a three knot system or hover boots.

I understand that, I can use the prussuck system it's just given the option I'd like to have a device in my climbing kit, no point in making it more uncomfortable for myself when I can use something to ease the strain.

If you have an iffy back, I would suggest climbing on a single line so that you're using your big leg muscles rather than small back muscles.

Options on hitch devices are Hitch Hiker, Rope Runner or OAR.

Single line? Instead of having both ends of the rope attatched to you is it one end wrapped round the branch and then just one end down to me?

Think about a Hitchhiker. You can use it ddrt or SRT. I really like mine. SRT you can tip tie as you describe, or base tie, but yes you're right one line from your TIP down to you.

If you are wanting to make life easier get a pantin (or equivalent). Even if you stick with a hitch and a pulley to tend it, the pantin makes life so much easier than body thrusting all the way up. Or at least it did for me.

I understand that, I can use the prussuck system it's just given the option I'd like to have a device in my climbing kit, no point in making it more uncomfortable for myself when I can use something to ease the strain.

I couldn't disagree more. Some of us have the misfortune of working in trees since way before such easy devices existed. We had to put up with the old school because that's all there was. I don't see why you should get away without the pain we had to put up with. It builds character you know.

You new boys should have a mandatory 8 years on three strand and a three knot system ( you may progress to a prussik loop after 2 years). You can move on to advanced kit after 8 years or 5 if you have a doctors note (a letter from your mum won't cover it)

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Lockjack is the most versatile tool, it is the only one that attaches mid-line but takes a bit more mastering, it does not self tend so well as sj & ZZ.

ZZ & SJ are very similar, ZZ is less finikity but some people worry about it 'breaking' i do not so in summary LJ if you've got the ability and patience to master it, ZZ if not, or if you're worried about it breaking go SJ WITH the dyneema quick link obv'