Trailer weight/licence

Jmill

Hello, trying to decide on a new truck. Thinking of crew cab and trailer combo but the weight of loaded truck and trailer plus weight of trailer is confusing to say the least!!! I passed my test in 2005 so I understand I can pull 3.5 tonne plus 750 kg? But how heavy is the average trailer?? Is there anyone else out there more knowledgeable than me out there....... Can't be hard

I passed my test in 2005 so I understand I can pull 3.5 tonne plus 750 kg?

Yes my understanding is that you may drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3500kg fully laden and pull a chipper up to 750kg. If trailer has a MAM of more than 750kg and the combined MAMs are less than 3500kg you may also pull the heavier trailer but getting the weights right becomes more complicated.

I suggest you'd be well advised to get the +E test.

3500max including trailer, 750kg unbraked trailer, otherwise tow vehicle and trailer up to 3500kg, ie 2200kg vehicle, 1300kg braked trailer, as long as within vehicle allowance (you need to check vehicle plates for max weights)........the limits and what was allowed were never made clear as it suited both VOSA and plod to keep everyone in the dark

I thought it was. 3500 max including trailer (which has to be less than 750 unless you have separate trailer licence)unless youv got a higher rated license? And that is if your vehicle is plated to that much?

I thought that was for licences obtained after Jan 2013, the post 1997 ones can have a MAM of 4250kg as long as the trailer is less than 750kg. It isn't clear on the gov.uk as they mostly just mention the MAM of the vehicle and MAM of the trailer not exceeding 750kg apart from

Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes | nidirect

Where it states

"Category B: Vehicles up to 3,500kgs MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

A category B vehicle may be coupled with a trailer over 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 3,500kgs MAM. Or it could be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 4,250kgs MAM."

I stand to be corrected.

Licences issued from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg

a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Licences held from 1 January 1997

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM

tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.

Licences held before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.

You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Towing heavier combinations

If you want to tow heavier combinations, you’ll have to first apply for provisional entitlement to the new C1+E entitlement. You’ll then have to pass the category C theory test and C1+E practical test.

Once you’ve done this you can drive vehicles and trailers with a combined weight of up to 12 tonnes MAM.

It's alright towing a sub 750kg chipper and 3500 truck but then whT about your logs and chip? IMO if you don't do your trailer test your not very dedicated to your career!! But that is my opinion!! ;)

I Agree, It's all off setable against your tax so no real financial loss either. Plus it's peace of mind knowing if you do get pulled your legal.

These rules apply to all B and B+E category drivers no matter when the test was passed

B category

Vehicle not more than 3500 kg plated GVW

B category towing

A trailer of 750 kg max plated MAM may be towed by a B category vehicle making a possible total plated MAM of 4250 kg

If a trailer over 750 kg plated MAM is towed by a B category vehicle then the plated GVW of the vehicle added to the plated MAM of the trailer (MTPLM of a caravan) must not total more than 3500 kg

B+E category

Towing a trailer with a B category vehicle where the trailer is not over 3500 kg plated MAM

To tow a trailer over 3500 kg plated MAM the category needed is C1+E