Wood chip pile, any danger of a fire?

WoodMouse

Was just asked about wood chip piles spontaniously combusting. Does anyone have any expirence of this, what should you look out for or things to avoid?

thanks in advance for all replys.

Normally only a problem when the depth of woodchip exceeds 3 mtrs deep unless the chip is especially green. I normally store my chip in IBC containers so I dont have the problem.

We store our biomass chip at a depth of around 5 metres. Normally 30%mc but sometimes we have had loads up to 50% then it can be like a steam room when moved. Doesn't take very long to start to heat up either. Best keep it shallow and moved.

Not had experience in the open but I would think that you might be able to store your fresh chip shallow say 2 metres max for a while then higher after it dries. I believe chip piles shed rain by thatching.

One winter morning I turned up to find the fire brigade ready to put my chip pile out, someone had reported smoke, it was just steam. The fireman was adamant it was getting put out until I asked him if he could actually smell smoke or burning.

He went embarrassed and quiet and I put the kettle on for them.

It was a huge pile and it never gaught fire.

I know many years ago Lichfield council had a xmas tree chipping programme, chipping trees after xmas, had a massive heap which did set on fire, and the firefighters tried to put it out with lots of water, but adding water makes it worse, (so im told)

also there was a large woodchip heap in the Birmingham area which went up a few years back to.