Insurance without tickets

AHPP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble is, insurance companies can insist of proof of competence before insuring you, the same as a client could and should ask for proof of competence before hiring you. It's nothing to do with the law, it's risk management, it's nothing to do with how good the tickets are or if theyre handed out like sweeties or not. A benchmark is required, they're what we've got to prove that we have reached a basic standard of training in our field.

What do you really want to hear from this thread? That it's fine not to spend money on tickets and just go out hacking your way around the countryside. I'm sure the majority of the membership would never advocate that, given their own personal expense to get tickets, and as a representative forum of the industry, we could not condone untrained and unqualified operations in a professional capacity. Of course, what is done in the privacy of you own land is a different matter.

Or maybe someone is trying to get an unprofessional response so he can say look this is what really happens in the industry beneath the "professional" facade.

NPTC certificates are not worth the paper they are written on. They are handed out like sweets by training institutions happy to have you back for another few courses. Competent people have the same piece of paper as incompetent people. I feel sorry for people who are good at tree work, have worked hard for and have the tickets but are lumped in with people who have the same tickets and are shìt at tree work. I equally dislike bad people being able to pass themselves off as good people.

Exactly my thoughts tickets are no proof of competency all they prove is you attended a 5 day course and on the day of the test managed to prove to a suitable level that you were competent on that day, the number of people I have seen in the last 18 months since being in this business full time who range from careless to down right dangerous is astounding and all have tickets and rant about those who don't at the end of the day all tickets are from cs30/31 etc to cscs and so on are all an @rse covering exercise to satisfy the increasing blame culture in this country.

No particular disrespect to the last poster but this thread is going round in circles and has been nearly as useless as I feared it might. I'm not going to post any more.

Many thanks to the helpful posters.:)

Sorry, from your previous posts I thought you were looking for a discussion:

I hope that answers questions posed. I'm sure some will agree with me and I'm very sure some won't. Feel free to (a)debate intelligently or (b)do one.:001_smile:

This thread is specifically about NPTC chainsaw certificates. The point we are discussing was very discrete; do you HAVE to have them to cut trees?

I say there is no law that says something like, "It shall be an offence to cut trees without NPTC or other industry standard certificates." If you say there is, find it and show me.

No one has said there is any such law, yet you keep asking the question. Are you a troll?

Anyway, just to humour me I'd be really interested to hear your answers to my questions if they are not too circular and useless :001_rolleyes:

So are you absolutely certain that there's nothing anyone can teach you about using a chainsaw?

How do you propose to establish your credentials to a potential insurer?